Toto Drake ii height

Users who are viewing this thread

DannyDan

Reaction score
Hi,

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.
We're looking to replace our current toilet with the Drake II (1.28gpf). I am 5 10" but my wife is only 5 ft tall. I was wondering if the toilet seat might be too high for her, and if so what alternatives would you recommend.

Thanks,

Danny

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that your wife try out the handicapped stall at a restroom at the mall. If that is comfortable enough, then you should be OK with Drake 2 or other comfort height toilet .

Maybe the deal is to compare against the regular stalls. Some people will not be comfortable sitting in a public restroom regardless of seat height.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
At 16.125" high the Drake II may be too tall for her, even with a thin Kohler plastic seat (figure about 0.5" high). That's what I have on my 1.6gpf Drake in my MBR.

The regular height Drake at 14.625" may be too short. Then you may be looking for a 1" thick seat, as I did for my 1.28gpf Drake. That would probably be a better size for her but it may be too short for you.

If you have two bathrooms in your house you may want to install an elongated ADA height (for when you get older) in the MBR and a regular height round bowl in the hallway bathroom, with a very nice 1" thick seat (Toto or oak).

The obvious solution is to add a nice 1" thick foot mat by the ADA height Drake II. But she may be sensitive to any possible splash back from an elongated toilet if she flushes while sitting down.

DannyDan

Reaction score
We're looking to replace the toilet in our master bath which is terrible at flushing.
It's a Sterling Windham 402081.
http://sterlingplumbing.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1110492_4.pdf

It's elongated, but only 15" high. As far as comfort, it works well for both of us. Maybe because we're just used to it. I debated replacing it for a while since it's almost brand new, but finally got fed up with having to take a plunger to the bathroom every other time.

What other options should we consider other than Drake II if we decide it's too high? The original Drake?
I find it strange that this ADA height is becoming standard - what about kids? Seems to me like they're trying to solve a problem that didn't exist...

Wallijonn

Reaction score
We're looking to replace... a Sterling Windham ...

It's elongated, but only 15" high.

The regular Drake, and many other Toto toilets, comes in 14+5/8" high height and in 1.28 & 1.6 gpf and elongated and round. Most here would say that the Drake is a "Best Buy," or "good bang for the buck."

What is your plumbing like? What year was the house built? How thick a toilet seat do you have on there now? (bottom of the seat plastic pads to the top of the seat). 3/4" is about the norm. The thick oak seats are about 1.0" to about 1.5", with the cover, about 2.5".

14.5" - 15.0" is the standard height for regular height toilets. ADA is 17", iirc. (The spec calls for 17.0" - 19.0" toilet seat height.) A little lower, about 16.0", without seat, is "Comfort Height".

I went with a regular height toilet in the hallway for children in case I ever decide to sell the house and an ADA in the MBR for when the parents get older. I have arthritic knees, so it really helps. Using the regular height toilet at work is not a problem, though; at home it's a different matter. By the end of the day my knees are creaking. So I had to install a 1" Toto seat on the regular height otherwise I'd have problems standing up. Minor, but still painful. The opposite is also true, for a 5'0" woman, like my mother, the ADA would be too tall and painful getting on and off the throne. ymmv.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks