Toilet won't flush after the septic tank is covered back up

Users who are viewing this thread

Webb2019

Reaction score
Why won't my toilet flush after having the septic tank pumped and covered back up. The toilet would flush as long as the septic tank was uncovered but the minute that we put the dirt back over the septic tank the toilet stopped flushing. Any ideas.

Reach4

Reaction score
By not flush, I presume that you mean that when you press the lever, the water swirls lazily around the bowl, and eventually drops to the normal level. It does not effectively remove the solids.

I think this could a coincidence. The initial thought would be that something blocked the outside vent, but that seems unlikely.

What caused you to get your septic pumped?It was time based on a schedule, or was there a symptom?

Try this. Dump a 5 gallon bucket or big waste container of water from as high as you dare, as fast as you dare. Does this get things working well again?

Did you sometimes need to use a plunger before this problem?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
somehow you created a "closed system" with no way for air to escape so water can drain into the piping, once you sealed the lid.

I agree, it seems the toilet never had a vent or the septic tank also must have a vent. As water pushes air into the septic tank, the air has nowhere to go. https://septictankpro.com/septic-tank-vent/. Notice this article state "airlock". Perhaps the old tank lid was loose enough to allow air to vent or escape. You should call the company back to correct it. They might have covered over a vent pipe at the ground level or one was never installed. If the vent from your home main stack was used to vent the septic tank, something could have backed up and plugged up the vent to the roof.

From a google search "septic tank vent":
Do septic tanks have air vents?
Yes, your septic system and all sewage systems for that matter need a venting system to allow gases to escape the system avoiding dangerous build ups or airlocks to form. Your Septic System should have 3 methods of pipe ventilation, Inlet & Outlet, Roof-Vent, & Yard Based Pipe Vents.Oct 22, 2018

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks