Toilet/tub backing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy B

Reaction score
I have a check valve on my main leading from house. My basement tub and toilet are backing up every time it rains but usually with clear water. Where is this coming from.

Reach4

Reaction score
but usually with clear water. Where is this coming from.
I am surprised with the clear water thing. Nice. Usually sewer flapper check valves leak.

I suspect the clear water is from your upstairs water use.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do your gutters feed into the sewer? In some places, that's illegal, but not everywhere.

Sandy B

Reaction score
I am surprised with the clear water thing. Nice. Usually sewer flapper check valves leak.

I suspect the clear water is from your upstairs water use.
Yes, I suspect water is from upstairs or outside rain water. I think the check valve is working but now rain water and house water is filling up stack and backing up. What are my options. I have diverted most of roof water to the street. But back patio gets a lot of rain water and drain feeds into main stack. It is an old house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to consider adding a drywell for any of the rainwater runoff verses running it into the sewer. Depending on the area being drained, it could easily be a huge load. In most places, there are at least plans to separate the waste from runoff in the sewers...older places have them combined, and during a storm, they can become overloaded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks