Toilet Troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Mull

Reaction score
I installed a full bathroom in the basement 4 years' ago. For 3 yrs the toilet worked fine. For the last year it barely flushes and it gurgles when one of the other 3 toilets in the house is used.

Some info that might be relevant: The toilet was installed about aproximately 8' from the main drain (vent stack). The house is 18 years' old. Six adults and two children live here. We have a cesspool that has never been pumped. The bathtub that is right next to the toilet does not have a problem draining or has had waste back up into it.

What I have done so far: Replaced the toilet with a "high velocity" model, no difference. Snaked 20' into the main drain, I did not feel any resistance. Took the toilet off and used a high pressure hose and pushed water through the waste pipes, the water flowed freely.

Something that I feel is wrong is the waste pipe that leads from the toilet to the main drain is full of water-- I can't figure out why or how I might fix this. Of course this pipe runs under a cemented tiled floor, but I do have access to the back of the toilet were I can break through the floor.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
I would run the snake a whole lot longer than just 20 feet, and make sure you have the proper size snake, don't use a whimpy one.

If you don't have a clog, then maybe the line that is holding water has settled and created a belly area...not good...needs to be repaired/replaced if that is the case.

You'll need to have that line inspected by a video cam to verify that it is sagging.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What size was the snake that you used on the line?

If you have lived in the house 18 years and never pumped the cesspool it may need replacement.

Pump the cesspool, I'll bet I's your problem.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks