Toilet Running - not the flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

DandyDog

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with water running from the tank into the bowl (it's a small amount - sometimes you almost can not even see it). The toilet is about 6 years old. I replaced the flapper but that did not stop the leak. When I was removing the old flapper, I noticed water coming out near the bottom of the fill valve. The supply had been shut off, so this does not make any sense to me. The same amount of water comes out of the bottom of the fill valve whether or not the supply line is off or on. To complicate matters, the water does NOT reach the top of the overflow pipe and enter the bowl. It appears to be going into the bowl under the flapper. I ran my finger along the the plastic ring the flapper rests on and didn't feel any nicks or anything that might allow the water to leak through.

Not sure if it matters, but it might be worth noting that my kitchen faucet recently started dripping (hot water side - it's 3 years old). Anyway, the relevant part is that the faucet also still dripped even with the supply shut off. I find it hard to believe I could have two shut off valves fail at the same time. I know it's not impossible, but it is unlikely.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
It is common for fixture stops to leak when they get some age on them. The ballvalve type not so much but they leak too. Sounds like a flapper,flushvalve or a ballcock refill hose problem.

The refill hose from the ballcock should be clipped 1/2" above the water level. Do not let the refill hose push down below the water level in the tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any idea what your water pressure is? If it ever gets above 80#, and it isn't from expansion from the WH, then you may need a pressure reduction valve (prv), and if you don't already have one, an expansion tank, or, your prv might have failed. Or, if you do have an expansion tank, it may be shot and needing replacement.

It usually is only noticed when new, but if the flush valve seat is not tight, it can leak beneath the flapper into the bowl. If that's the problem, you'd need to remove the tank, tighten the gasket sealing nut, then reinstall things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the small refill tube is stuck too far down the overflow pipe, NOT suspended above it like it should be, it will do what you describe.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks