Toilet flushes normally then all water leaves bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbenton

Reaction score
Flush toilet and it flushes normally. Within a minute the bowl drains almost completely but tank level is normal. I flush again and water does not leave the bowl, rises immediately and overflows a bit and then the bowl drains back down more than half way. There is no gurgling or bubbling or anything. This has happened once before. Hubby says it needs to be plunged which is what he did the last time this happened. If its clogged how could it have flushed 'normally' the first time and then drain almost all the way down? Nothing goes in there that 'doesn't belong'. What could be happening? Thanks

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Flush toilet and it flushes normally. Within a minute the bowl drains almost completely but tank level is normal. I flush again and water does not leave the bowl, rises immediately and overflows a bit and then the bowl drains back down more than half way. There is no gurgling or bubbling or anything. This has happened once before. Hubby says it needs to be plunged which is what he did the last time this happened. If its clogged how could it have flushed 'normally' the first time and then drain almost all the way down? Nothing goes in there that 'doesn't belong'. What could be happening? Thanks
What you are describing sounds like there is a blockage in your drain; based on the number of flushes stated it is probably close to the toilet but not in the toilet.
Are you on a municipal sewer system? or are you on a septic tank?

Tbenton

Reaction score
What you are describing sounds like there is a blockage in your drain; based on the number of flushes stated it is probably close to the toilet but not in the toilet.
Are you on a municipal sewer system? or are you on a septic tank?[/QUOte

We are on septic and no problems anywhere else in the house. The toilet in question is on the second floor in our bedroom. The other one up there has no issues.

Tbenton

Reaction score
Try plunging again, you may need to use a closet auger to make sure the toilet trap is clear.
If neither of those work you will need to clean the drain line.

My hubby says he thinks his BM yesterday caused all this. Not to get into detail but sometimes he has hard large BMs that sometimes get stuck and won't go down at all. He has to get a stick from outside to force it down. I know....TMI!

BUT when I flushed this morning as I said earlier....it flushed normally and then emptied and then filled back up and overflowed when I flushed it again to see what would happen.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
My hubby says he thinks his BM yesterday caused all this. Not to get into detail but sometimes he has hard large BMs that sometimes get stuck and won't go down at all. He has to get a stick from outside to force it down. I know....TMI!

BUT when I flushed this morning as I said earlier....it flushed normally and then emptied and then filled back up and overflowed when I flushed it again to see what would happen.
Actually NOT TMI, all information helps when trying to diagnose an issue.
I have a family member with the same problem due to medical reasons, she has learned to use a closet auger really well.
If you do not have an auger you might consider acquiring one if this is a regular issue. It sure beats a stick.

Tbenton

Reaction score
Actually NOT TMI, all information helps when trying to diagnose an issue.
I have a family member with the same problem due to medical reasons, she has learned to use a closet auger really well.
If you do not have an auger you might consider acquiring one if this is a regular issue. It sure beats a stick.

We have a auger but so far he makes the stick work. Its kind of a joke around here when I see him go out and get a tree branch...lol. He plunged again all is well at least for now. Of course I will be paranoid for a while when I use that toilet. He only 'goes' every few days but its 'normal' for him. He usually goes at work but he has been off for a few days. I really appreciate your help. Onward!

Reach4

Reaction score
Try pouring water from a big container, such as a Homer bucket, or a big plastic waste receptical -- as big as you can handle.

Pour into the bowl from as high as you can, as fast as you dare. The deluge may move the blockage along.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks