toilet flange questions

Users who are viewing this thread

masterbath

Reaction score
I removed my toilet in the midst of a remodel and found the flange is broken off. I am on a slab and the flange was glued to the outside of the PVC drain pipe. The inside of the drain measures 3". Is that a 3" pipe? I was considering the type of flange that slips inside but have concerns about anchoring it to the slab. On the other hand, I'd have to jack the slab up using the other type and there is always a chance I screw up the pipe removing the rest of the flange that is still connected.

Anyone else have opinions my dilema here?

thanks,
scott

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your pipe is 3". They do make flanges that will slip inside a 3" pipe, but it is not wise to use them because it cuts down the effective size of the drain. If it was a 4" drain, then the internal flange would be fine. Your best bet is to carefully cut through the flange to the pipe in several places and then use a chisel or screwdriver to pop the pieces off the pipe. Shove a rag down the pipe to block the sewer gas from coming out and to prevent the chips from fall into the pipe. It will probably take some scraping after you get the pieces chipped away to get the pipe smooth enough for the new flange to slid on. When you put the new one on, be sure it is oriented correctly, and that it sets flat on the finished floor. Solvent weld it on to the pipe then anchor through to the subfloor with stainless steel screws.

masterbath

Reaction score
Thanks Gary,
Good point about 3". I didnt think about the 3" making it too small. Of course I had bought one at the local Ace, told em what size it was and they still gave me a 4". I am taking it back today and get what you recommend. I think it won't be too bad because it looks like there is a trough around the drain. That does bring up a question. I will have to chip out the slab. When I patch it back, should I put some anchor bolts (for what you mentioned tying into the slab?).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless the space between the flange and the concrete is quite small, I don't know that you would have to break out any concrete. People often report they have used a Dremel type tool to cut slots down the sides of the old flange and these don't require a lot of space. If it ends up that you do have to break out some concrete, then you will need to fill that void with new concrete. There are foam wraps that provide a space between pipes and concrete, or you could fashion something that would work. Be sure the pipe is cleaned off well enough for the new flange to slide on freely and that the spacer is thick enough so the flanges clears the concrete. My personal preference for anchoring into concrete are lead ferrels and stainless steel screws.

andruesw

Reaction score
Do I Use Glue on an Inside-Fitting Flange?

Good discussion. Thanks. I'm about to mount an inside fitting toilet flange into a 4" PVC drain in a slab floor. Even dry, the flange is a tight fit, so I'm worried about glue. Once I put cement on it, it seems I'll get one very brief shot to do this right, and if I don't sink it right the first time, I'll have a stuck crooked flange that I have to cut out. So the question is... do I really glue this to the inside of the drain, or can I simply bolt it in place and assume the seal is adequate?

Thanks,

Wes

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

If you bought the right flange it has a loose metal ring that you can rotate into alignment after you glue it in. If it does not have that ring, and is all plastic, I would not use it.

andruesw

Reaction score
Thanks

Appreciate the advice. Since it is indeed all plastic, are you saying don't use glue or get another flange altogether?

Thanks again.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Get a plastic flange with a metal ring on it...
The ring will be able to be turned after the flange is cemented on....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks