Toilet flange above plywood after demo - new tile wont fit under it

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
I am remodeling the bathroom and just completed the demo. The toilet flange was sitting on the tile that I took out. The new tile is too high and cant fit under the flange. But the flange is now higher than the plywood and cant push down so I need to put something only in-between the flange and floor or cut the existing flange and put new one in. I would prefer to not cut the abs to get the flange out. I had the thought of using toilet flange spacers under the flange instead of the traditional above it. Is this a bad idea? The spacer has an option to snap one side off so then I can manuever it into place under the flange so everything is flush with plywood. If this is a bad idea? then any other ideas besides replacing?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Spacers are commonly used under flange to stabilize...as long as you use non-corrosive screws to anchor the flange to solid floor.
Sometimes I'd cut 1/2" CU tube as spacers, then screw the flange down through.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Spacers are commonly used under flange to stabilize...as long as you use non-corrosive screws to anchor the flange to solid floor.
Thank you for the confirmation. It made sense in my head but wasnt sure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The alternative would be to cut the pipe, maybe use a tool like RamBit to chew out the pipe in a fitting, and replace it. Spacers are much quicker.

If the top of the flange is too low, that can create issues, but often, a jumbo wax ring can resolve the issue. Depends on how low it is.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Just wanted to post back thanking you. Worked perfectly. Nice a snug and no wobble. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks