Toilet cracked along bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I set the toilet with no wax. Wiggle it and sit on it. If there's no wiggle I don't know why you'd add a shim, your making unnecessary work and probably hurting yourself. If there's wiggle I shove shimms to remove the wiggle. With the shimms shoved to depth I mark them with a pencil and pull them out one at a time and cut them with tin snips (mainly because that's what I have with me and it works well) and put them back in on the same place at the same depth, but they are now hidden. Then I carefully pull thy toilet straight up. Place the wax and set. Caulk neatly and wipe most of the caulk away. Done.

There are lots of other conditions that can cause other steps. If this happens I do this, if this is that way I do that, but using shims on a solid steady set toilet shouldn't be a thing.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When dealing with an uneven floor we made a bed of plaster of Paris and set the bowl on it and it would eliminate the uneven floor.

Set the toilet on the plaster before it hardens

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks