Toilet connection leaking and hissing air

Users who are viewing this thread

stotzies

Reaction score
My toliet has been leaking for a few weeks from the connection line. It seems to be leaking through the upper connection that's a couple inches down from the tank. I tightened everything and overdid it to the point where no water flowed into the tank, so I backed off a little and still leaks. Now, after my shower I'm hearing what I think is air in the line. A high pitched hiss or related noises. I'm wondering if I have a larger problem and should just call a plumber. I'm not very handy. The plumbing is from 1979.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water pipes won't leak air for long unless you have something like a bad well pump.

Take the toilet tank cover off and see if you see anything.

If there were a leak in the supply line, it would be leaking water, not air.

A filler valve in the toilet could be leaking, or depending on the type, could be just running at a low level. Turn the shutoff feeding the toilet off and see what happens. If the tank on the toilet empties (best to leave it overnight), you probably just need a new flapper valve. If the tank is filling and water is going down the overflow tube, the valve is not shutting off, and either needs service or replacement. Depends on what you have how easy that is (some are very easy).

If you can, take a picture of the insides of the tank, and get back with results and we can be more helpful.

stotzies

Reaction score
It's leaking water into a large pan that I empty twice a day at least. The flapper was replaced a couple months ago. I am not on a well system.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect you overtightened the supply tube and you may have damaged the fill valve threads. That would cause the leak. The fill valve itself may be bad, not necessarily related to the leak, and that is what you are hearing. These can easily be replaced. I would suggest you get a new supply tube and a new fill valve. Those two things plus the flapper are pretty much all there is to the insides of a toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks