Toilet base at the floor is wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I re-installed (orig toilet) a toilet in a remodel about 4 years ago.....floor is tile on concrete and don't remember any snafu's. Well the grout has slowly been getting wet around the base and done the grout line of a tile (grout is dark ...implying high moisture content). This has been going on for probably over a year. It's time to pull the thing out and either re-set it and/or look for cracks....or just fling it and install something new. Is there anything I should look for in particular when I pull the bowl out? aside from the obvious?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet rocks at all, the wax seal is probably broken, so resetting it with a new wax ring and some shims to keep it from rocking should work.

If it doesn't rock, then check the tank to toilet to see if it is loose. It could also be condensation, especially if the flapper valve is worn out and the thing refills frequently on its own.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
If the toilet rocks at all, the wax seal is probably broken, so resetting it with a new wax ring and some shims to keep it from rocking should work.

If it doesn't rock, then check the tank to toilet to see if it is loose. It could also be condensation, especially if the flapper valve is worn out and the thing refills frequently on its own.

Doesn't rock...and is grouted all around.
Flapper valve did wear out but I replaced it about 6 months ago and did not solve the problem.

I'll check for any outside wetness above the floor.....other than that, it is either cracked or bad wax seal....I guess.

If this was on wood/lynoleum I would never know it was leaking......and would have floor rot after several years.

I'd just like to get it right my first try of the fix.