Tips for backfilling around sewer line repair

Users who are viewing this thread

OntarioGrass

Reaction score
Hi , I had a section of sewer line replaced in the front yard, directly beside the house foundation. The depth is about 10 feet. I'm responsible for backfilling the hole, and I'm trying to determine the type of material to use. I've read recommendations for sand, gravel or soil, and I'm not sure which is best for ensuring the pipe is not going to be damaged by the weight of the backfill. Thanks in advance, my plumbing knowledge is pretty minimal!

20230613_100202.jpeg
20230613_100155.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is a TERRIBLE methodology to use what looks like an 'unshielded' coupling. It should be redone properly.
They have no protection from shear, and mis aligning. Shielded couplings for transition are readily available.
There should also be a cleanout on that line. Ideally a two way cleanout.
Nobody should go down without trench wall protection. It is extremely hazardous at risk of death and required by law.
Backfill under pipe is ideally: Road base which is a combination of fines and larger, which, when compacted properly under the pipe (with a plate compactor) will become very firm.
Then soil on top, compacted in 12" drifts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks