Timer for Pressure Tank Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

CommanderDave

Reaction score
Hi. Like to know if a timer can be wired into a pressure tank pressure switch, and what the diagram would look like. Here's the situation:
- I installed an additional deep well next to a pond on my property to supplement the water level. The well feeds a yard hydrant to the pond. When we dug a trench from the pond well to the house for a heavy gauge electric feeder wire we also installed a water line (as backup for the house main domestic well) along with a a separate 12ga wire.
- I control the pond well two ways: I installed a timer next to the house electric panel that connects via the 12ga underground wire to a contactor in the well control box, or I can turn on a bypass switch at the pond electric panel.
- The pond well is on/off only. My concern is if someone closes the pond hydrant while the pump is running it will overpressure it. I'm thinking of installing a pressure tank in the house basement to control the flow to the pond well hydrant. What I'd like to be able to do is continue to run the well on a timer for a few hours every night. But when the timer is off, having the pressure tank/switch run as normal. For example:
-Hydrant open, Timer On: water running
-Hydrant open, Timer Off: water is not running
-Hydrant open, Timer Off: Pond bypass switch On, water running
-Hydrant open, Timer Off, Pond bypass switch Off, water not running
-Hydrant closed, pressure switch controls on/off whether Timer or bypass switch is ON.
Note: if the hydrant is open I would not want constant flow unless I'm running on either the timer or the bypass switch. If hydrant is closed under any circumstance I'd want the pressure switch to turn off flow.

I don't know if this configuration is even possible, I certainly find it perplexing. I have attached a basic drawing to give you some idea of the current layout. (There should be a red line from the pond subpanel showing power to the well head)
Thanks

Attachments

• Pond Pressure Tank.png
    Pond Pressure Tank.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It would be much easier if you just put a Cycle Stop Valve before a small pressure tank and pressure switch. A solenoid or sprinkler valve could be attached to the hydrant and be controlled by the timer, the same as a sprinkler zone. Just don't open the hydrant all the way and you will still have water while the pond is filling. The CSV and pressure tank/switch will turn the pump on and off and supply exactly the right amount of water no matter where the water is being used.

CommanderDave

Reaction score
I understand how the CSV would work, but I'm unclear about the solenoid/valve connection to the hydrant, how and where that would be configured and wired.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I understand how the CSV would work, but I'm unclear about the solenoid/valve connection to the hydrant, how and where that would be configured and wired.
It could be as simple as one of those hose timers. Just connect the hose timer to the hydrant and leave the hydrant on. The timer will determine when the pond gets water. The trick is the CSV as it will allow the pump to safely produce any amount of water you want to use anywhere you want to use it.

CommanderDave

Reaction score
I think I'm getting it. I attached a new drawing. Taking out the existing timer and attaching the 12ga wire from the CSV pressure switch to the well control box contactor When the hydrant flow valve timer shuts off the CSV would then shut down the well pump. If I get a wifi flow valve I can control it from my phone, and I can manually turn on/off the hydrant at the pump. And as you mentioned if I add another hydrant it gets controlled. My only concern would be to get a heavy duty flow timer for the hydrant since the well pump is 1.5hp and has a 25gpm flow rate.

Attachments

• Pond Pressure Tank.png
    Pond Pressure Tank.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 101

CommanderDave

Reaction score
I think I'm getting it. I attached a new drawing. Taking out the existing timer and attaching the 12ga wire from the CSV pressure switch to the well control box contactor When the hydrant flow valve timer shuts off the CSV would then shut down the well pump. If I get a wifi flow valve I can control it from my phone, and I can manually turn on/off the hydrant at the pump. And as you mentioned if I add another hydrant it gets controlled. My only concern would be to get a heavy duty flow timer for the hydrant since the well pump is 1.5hp and has a 25gpm flow rate.
...Is there a vendor you could recommend that I could contact to get the best Programmable Flow Valve Timer for my application?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since the line to the hydrant comes off at the well head, the CSV would need to be installed in the well or before the tee to the hydrant. There are no wires to the CSV. Power would go from the breaker to the pressure switch. Pressure switch to the pump control box (if it has one) then to the motor. That is all the wires you need.

Then at the hydrant or any hydrant you can use a little digital hose timer valve or even use one of these that works and is programable from your phone.

hydrant timer.jpg

CommanderDave

Reaction score
The well head is not in an enclosed building and heated, so installing a Pressure Tank/CSV at that location is not possible.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The tank can stay where it is. Only the CSV needs to go before the tee to the hydrant. The CSV125 fits inside the well to solve that problem. You can do it without a CSV as long as the hydrant is always wide open using all the water the pump can produce. Too little flow to the pond will cycle the pump to death.

CommanderDave

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for that clarification. The pond hydrant is open all summer long and then closed in the winter, obviously to prevent freezing. My concern is if it was possible to configure a pressure tank and switch that would prevent the pump from overpressurizing if someone turned off the hydrant while the timer is on.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I still don't think you understand. The only thing that needs a timer is the solenoid valve or hose timer valve on the hydrant going to the pond. The pressure switch will start and stop the pump as needed.

If you do not use the water for anything else you could do without the pressure tank/pressure switch, and just use a pump start relay in an irrigation timer like a Rainbird or Toro. With this set up no tank or switch is needed. You won't even need a valve, just leave the hydrant open. But installing a 75 PSI pressure relief will save the pump if someone closes the valve to the pond and leaves the pump running or timer on.

The way I recommended you could fill the pond on a timer, and use water anywhere else including the house. You can't do that with a pump start relay on an irrigation timer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks