Tiling flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gasser

Reaction score
I have a Maax Picadilly tub that I am installing...my first tub install! This is part of a remodel and it is an alcove type installation.

The alcove is 60" wide and the tub is 59.5 inches long. The tiling flange on this model is a separate piece and it is really not flexible. How do I make up that extra 1/4" on each side to attach the flange to the studs? My other alternative is it install it on top of the drywall (putting in a surround) but then I have the oposite problem...the opening is too narrow for the flange to fit.

The bottom portion of the flange is molded to the countour of the tub. The lip that rests on top of the tub is 3/8". Can I just slide the flange back and only rest an 1/8" on the tub to cover the gap? Will this seal properly?

Given that I am installing a surround, should the flange be mounted to the studs or over the drywall?...or does it matter?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

pipepusher

master plumber/gas fitter
Reaction score
flanges

Cut some 1/4" strips and fasten to the studs and then attach the tiling flanges. then you are good to go.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want to have any drywall in your tub surround area especially if it is going to be a shower, too. Some shims would work...I don't think 1/8" overlap on the flange to the tub is adequate.

Gasser

Reaction score
You don't want to have any drywall in your tub surround area especially if it is going to be a shower, too.

Thanks Jadnashua. I should have said greenboard instead of drywall...I plan to use 1/2" greenboard around the tub as a backing for the 3-piece shower surround. I cannot go with a direct to stud surround because all I have been able to find are too tall for my application...the ceiling over the tub is lowered.

Should I be doing something diiferent?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Greenboard is a waste in this application. If the surround works, drywall will be fine. If it doesn't greenboard would only prevent damage for a short while. A good primer and paint job outside of the surround is sufficient. In the latest building codes, greenboard is essentially not specified for anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks