threaded drain I have a clawfoot tub with a broken strainer. It is fine thread about 1 1/2" It is the strainer I need to replace. I screws into the dr

Users who are viewing this thread

jsmith6752

Reaction score
I have a clawfoot tub with a broken strainer. It is fine thread about 1 1/2" It is the strainer basket I need to replace. Any options? thanks
drain.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It depends upon what kind of local plumbing shops are around and how they stock supplies.
Easiest is to replace the entire assembly, though many plumbers and some older, independent plumbing supply shops have various misc parts.
The many clawfoot tubs used a 1-3/8" threaded style.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
buy new and screw it in with putty on top gasket underneath. fine threaded would be 1 3/8 (1 5/8" od at threads) 1 1/2 will be 1 7/8 inch on the od . eventualy some of plumbing makes sence.

jsmith6752

Reaction score
how do you know what size to order for a clawfoot drain? My piece on the bottom of the tub is 6 inches long. That's the piece the strainer screws into.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I told you what size as did Breplum? looks to me like its a broken spud and we both told you what to do ? you got 2 pieces in the photo one is busted. re read my post with sizes measure the od on the bad part if its fine thread it almost surely is 1 3/8inch which is odd because it actually measures about an 1 5/8" . this is all i can tell you

jsmith6752

Reaction score
can someone make a suggestion for a brand new unit? I know my drain section is only 6" long. Can the new ones be taken apart and cut to length?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks