Thinking smart about plumbing design...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Billy_Bob, May 16, 2008.

1. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

Seems to me plumbing is the way it has been forever and no one ever thinks about redesigning things for problems which happen again and again and again...

How about this...

Drain traps get clogged all the time. How about a shut off valve at the drain and a water pipe connected below the valve to the drain with another valve (and backflow preventer of course).

So drain gets clogged, close drain pipe with valve, then open water valve and the water pressure instantly cleans/flushes the drain!

2. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
    Few comments:

Backflow preventers are expensive and need to be regularly tested. You would probably want just one for your "trap flushing system" which means you need more piping. Expensive.

Properly designed plumbing systems without improper disposal of wastewater (with grease, hair, food, small toys, cement, etc) should not clog.

Most DWV systems are not designed for pressure applications. Should your clog be really bad, you'll likely blow the P trap right off the plumbing. What a mess. If your clog is downstream, you'll start backing up in to other fixtures, or out your vent, etc.

If it's not too bad, you might just push the clog furthur down stream. The best way to remove clogs are generally mechanical methods.

Jason

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    idea

If the clog is in the right place and tight enough, all your "invention" would do is force water up the vent and over to the lowest connection or onto the roof, just like a drain blow bag will. Well, it would do one other thing, increase the cost of the plumbing installation dramatically, since ever drain would need a valve, a water connection, and an approved backflow prevention device. However, you would also have to know how the piping is installed before using it, because if two or more drains are connected to the same stopped up pipe, the water will backflush out of their backflow preventers and flood the place, especially if you shut off their valves beforehand.

5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Tooth brushes, toys, face cloths, Etc. will not dislodge with water.

6. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Plumbing Contractor
    About a week after installing a wc some time ago, I got a stoppage call. The owner was home when I got there so he witnessed my surprise when I pulled the toilet, turned it over and found a banana peel lodged in the outlet. He looked at me and admitted that he was the offending party. Just another day in paradise.

7. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    banana

Where was your closet auger?

8. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

plumber
    The only time I see a trap clogged is when it is full of grease. Home owners always think it is the trap.
    More time to pull the toilet = more money for the plumber. Plus you get to show the home owner playing with a banana on the toilet is a bad idea. Plus It would be a real shame to scratch a nice new toilet.

9. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Plumbing Contractor
    The auger pushed right by it about 5 times. Otherwise I wouldn't have pulled it.

10. taysan

taysan Member

I've owned 2 homes over the last 15 years and lived in 3 different apartments. I think I've had one clogged drain ever. Hardly worth the effort and cost of having some fancy doo-dad on every single drain in all those locations.

Simple = better.