Thermostat boiler zone one won't call for heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Ellie555

Reaction score
Hello, Homeowner is trying to understand system problem which PREDATES installation of Burnham Alpine boiler & Taco circulator several years ago. Zone 1 (floor 1) & zone 2 (floor 2) thermostats are set for 63. When floor 2 temperature is 65 and floor 1 temp is 58 the floor 1 thermostat will not call for heat. When floor 2 temp drops below 63 zone 2 will start up. Shortly afterwards floor 1 thermostat temperature reading number will start to flash and only then will zone 1 start up. Can anyone explain this to me? How is this problem solved? I would be most appreciative.

The thermostats are Hunter Set 'n Save I.

Notes: I changed the battery on floor 1 thermostat today. Years ago I vaguely recall that I tried setting the floor 2 thermostat with a lower setting than floor 1 but this did not seem to help. Haven't tried this recently.

Thank you,
Ellie

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thermostat model number should be inside cover? What are you using for boiler / pump control? Each zone have its own pump?

Ellie555

Reaction score
Thermostat model number should be inside cover? What are you using for boiler / pump control? Each zone have its own pump?

Yes each zone has its own pump Taco 007e - F4. There is also zone 3 which was added at the installation (2104) for single room floor 1 that has inadequate baseboard & 2 doubleglass sliders. That thermostat is Honeywell Pro 1000 Series Model TH1100DV. The other 2 thermostats are Hunter Model 42204 which could have been installed 30 years ago. The aquastat I am thinking is inside the jacket, there was a sticker 808 on it. Paperwork I have says Honeywell aquastat controller L4080 or L8080. The boiler itself is Model ALP080B.

Thank you!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Burnham boiler is a condensing boiler that only calls for heat from outside signal and water temp setting is from boiler. Is there a boiler panel that controls the pumps and boiler that takes a signal like taco or honeywell? If not is there some relays. Zone 2 sound like thermostat is calling for heat & pump not the boiler till another zone calls for heat. That honeywell control that is in the boiler is a hi limit. If the zone valves have 4 wires , open valve ,2 dry contacts n.o.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks