The Swiss people got it right.....

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Ian said "I wanna find me my own Glory Hole."

I bet there are plenty of them in California. Guess that would make him Happy. LOL

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
full moon yesterday

it certainly was a full moon yesterday......

I had 3 calls that all wanted free services , with one being at least 45 miles one way ... he just wanted to chat and get some ideas about what he needed to do himself.....

wanted to know if I could come out and look around his
Raccoon infested crawl space to see what kind of damages went on last winter....
he just bought the place so I politely referred him to Ben.....

the other two should have also been passed on but I decided to waste
my time and gas on them..
.I simply walked out of one of them once she let it slip that she
had a brother-in-law that would do the job now that I looked it over...

but I was very polite .

I should have stayed home yesterday..

In stead of having a stiff drink,

I got on my Nordic-Track
and did 45 minutes last night......

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I think you might be getting alot more calls for "free estimates" given, the state of affairs with everything right now. But, I wonder, if this would work for you. Tell those customers that you will take their name, phone and address and when, you are in the neck of the woods, you will call them. But, also, tell them, their is still a charge because of the cost of the gas. And, add on for your time. Then, keep a notebook with that information, and, maybe, do that when you are in that area. Or:

for those areas which doesn't pay to drive to especially, for something like that, a free estimate, maybe, tie up with another plumber in another area and get something going to act on a "referral" like, we do in real estate. We get paid to do referrals. For instance, if you refer a person, that person does the job, you would get kicked over a small percentage. And, the same for the other person. It would be between you and the other business, the customers knows nothing. If times get slow, just something to think about. Sometimes, it is either feast or famine in business.

But, no way would I drive 70 miles for a "free" estimate. Not with the price of gas. You can't afford that loss, not too many can. Times that by a few, no way. You would be working for a dead horse.

But, if it was close, and I needed the job, I would do it, or if I could tie up, 2 or 3 things in that area.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
What I hear MM is this, after driving many miles, after making the time to show a house: Thank you, you are so sweet to show us this house, we ( usually a mother & daughter) we always wanted to see it.

Now, I ask enough of questions: Who? What? Where? When? and Why.

Who is buying this property? What exactly are you interested in? Where do you want to move to? When would this happen? and... the clincher, Why are you interested in this piece of property? Then and only then, do I feel I have a chance of not wasting my time and gas, wear & tear on my car.

I do not do sight-seeing tours.

DonL

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have never gotten anything for "Free".

Nothing is "Free"

People should not expect you to come to their house for "Free"
Most people like that would not be happy with your work even if they did pay you too fix something.
And the Recalls would not be worth the money to go back again. Piss on them.

I do not like dealing with people that think they deserve everything for "Free"

I am going to the local bar to get a "Free" drink... (I have to pay for gas to get there, so it is not really "Free")

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
At one time, it used to be, "free" estimates. I remember those days. Okay, so, I am told I am old. lol. But, I also, remember the "coffee man" who used to come around, too, and I haven't seen him in at least 30 years. I remember, honestly, you could get a "free" estimate, but, I honestly, think, correct me if I am wrong here, but, people "then" got the job done. My dad was in electrical and I spent alot of time with him and, I know it worked that way for him. He would go to someone's house, give the free estimate but then, they got the work done. Now, it seems like people are just looking for the best deal in town. Or out of town. Now, honestly, I am bone-cheap out of necessity, so, I do not put people down for trying to buy or keep things within what they can afford, but, I think, today it goes further than that, they are just like trying to get over on people. That is just wrong and so messed up.

Plus, even if gas back then, was nothing, comparing it to people's wages it still comes out it was an expense for people to do the free estimates. I just think, overall, people was different and more respectful of others.

I know times are tough, I am living it, but, I also, would never waste another's time in trying to keep my bank acct big, mine is never big, lol. I am glad when it balances. :)

But, the days of "free" estimates are gone, like the coffee man. Times have changed it, and people being greedy did it in.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has ever wished you Don, a great day, so here it goes, "have a nice day Don."
Cookie

DonL

Reaction score
Thank You Cookie.

I may have not explained very good, But a Free Estimate is different than a Free Trip Charge, to pay for gas at least.

I understand that if you don't want someone to do the work, that is fine, all you paid for was their gas.

But to expect someone to come to your house to repair something, knowing You can do it yourself, or have a Friend do it, After the serviceman tells you what it needs, For Free, That is just wrong.

That is what I am talking about.

I used to do free estimates, in a shop, and they brought the stuff to the shop, I did Itemized Estimates for Free.

Many times the person would just say, OK, now I want to order them parts listed on the estimate, I will do the work myself, I think that is wrong.

Then when they were not able to do the work, Had no clue, burnt stuff up worse, Then I would charge Double the price to Re-Fix it, When they brought it back.

There were also times that the little old lady would come in with her sewing machine because it would not pick up the stitch,
and I would re-time and lube it for her. Free of Charge, instead of the normal $48.00 for 10-15 minutes of work. It was not totally Free because she came to the shop, Using her gas and her time.

I treat people the way I would like to be treated.

I do not expect something for nothing.

Expect Nothing, and you will never be disappointed...

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, no Don, we are on the same page. I think so anyways, lol.

Years ago, people like my dad, for example, would go to someone's house and give an estimate for something that they needed done. It was free. Then, he would leave or if he had the parts and materials and if they wanted it, he would fix it then, or come back, if they wanted him, or needed the right materials.

They never paid for gas, etc.

Now days, I think, the days of what my dad did, and the likes of what MM is saying, is really over. Why? I guess loads of reasons really.

Now days, I think, their should be, and maybe, many do this, I don't know, but, maybe say, " 59.99 for an estimate and/or... plus, ... whatever, the businessman wants to add.

It is only fair... and, I really do feel with the price of gas, that really has to be be taken into acct.

What you said, about someone else fixing it after you gave the estimate is horrible. That is why, they got to charge. Years, ago, I think people hired them on the spot, unless I am wrong. Now days, they are shopping... and, one can't do that at your own expense.

That is why, I ask, loads of questions. I can't afford to waste my time (which is my work time) or my gas, being a site seeing bus. :)

I agree with you Don.

by the way, I got this sewing machine... ha haha ha, ( only kidding)

(now ... work....:( )

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Are you telling me I could do all this from countries like that where there are real freedoms?

What have I done.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I can't leave now.

I need to ensure there is social justice.

I need to remind folks of that which rightfully belongs to the King.

And someone has to pay taxes here. The rest of you don't seem to like "doing your part".

Like many of your ancestors, who failed to pay their dues to the Church of England.

America, and its history, is one of a nation of people with very short arms and deep pockets.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
You Could at least put a heads up on Your Post. Not just some BS Video.

Thank You Very Little...

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
history of enslavement

The King of England and the crown can kiss my ....glory hole..... and you can too IAN....

What exactly is it that makes you feel that this country owes a Debt to the
king of england>??
what exactly makes anyone be-holding to other people for hundreds of years anyway??

if England or the intenational bankers could have their way,
we would all be in debt to them from birth....

its an evil and ugly thing to look at Englands history......
Even Australia was first colonized by the debtors prisons from England.....

African Slavery was also encouraged by England..... if traffic in human lives
could make the KING of ENGLAND a few bucks ... it was okkk

so what sort of EVIL is it in peoples minds that make them think the whole purpose of life is
to dominate and enslave others, so they and their children can sit on their lazy
asses and collect taxes and tribute forever from....???
Perhaps Simply human green and sloth...

here is a good movie you need to watch...
.you can see how their is a deliberate attempt to
get this country so in debt .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well Ian taxes are quite high on alcohol in CT so I like to take a nice drive up to New Hampshire to their state liquor store and stock up... The trip pays off nicely...

Is your drinking so out of control that you can't plan ahead?

WATCH OUT! The state police in MA are known to hang out near the NY state line, and pull over people they suspect of importing tax free liquor and smokes from NH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks