Testing a well that hasn't been used in a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Watson524

Reaction score
Ok, put the amp clamp on this morning, reading way too high at 29 - 30a so I shut it right down. Appears the pump is zapped?
The well casing coming up measures just over 18" circumference so if my math is right, that's a 6" OD. Also attached are the 2 pipes coming out of the ground about 50' away. water line is 1" ID thick walled and where the electric 2 wire comes out is 1" ID but thinner walled. Ignore the copper you see, that's not part of this and is just from the ground rod at the pole from the mobile home that was there and came up in the same spot to tie into the old panel; nothing to do with the well.

Pictures of the cap included. I've marked on the top of the cap what measures 6" which corresponds to the OD of the casing. Can anyone tell me if that cap CAN come safely off? If so, I'll unbolt it, let the ring fall to the ground and give it a whack under it a bit to see if it comes loose so I can look down in. For right now, my husband is down with a shovel to dig down a foot or so and see if he can find the electric line coming out somewhere since it's not showing above grade by the well anywhere.

Attachments

• 20211021_104640.jpg
    20211021_104640.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Cap from top.jpg
    Cap from top.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20211021_104550.jpg
    20211021_104550.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 126

Watson524

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long. Electric is just below grade, about 16" from the top of the cap. Looks like some kind of nipple on the casing that goes to the black pipe. The black pipe comes out not in line with where we thought given where it sees daylight and there's a split in it a few inches out from the casing but it doesn't look like a new split and since we know the well was fine a few years ago, I doubt that's the cause of any issues but either way, since it's not a big dig, we'll likely have that moved so it's in line since I assume a newer style cap would be used when the pump gets replaced.

Attachments

• 20211021_113314.jpg
    20211021_113314.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211021_113325.jpg
    20211021_113325.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 122

Reach4

Reaction score
img_6.jpg
Ok, put the amp clamp on this morning, reading way too high at 29 - 30a so I shut it right down. Appears the pump is zapped?
That could be normal before a second has elapsed. I would try giving it 5 seconds for the current to come down.
he black pipe comes out not in line with where we thought given where it sees daylight and there's a split in it a few inches out from the casing but it doesn't look like a new split and since we know the well was fine a few years ago, I doubt that's the cause of any issues but either way, since it's not a big dig, we'll likely have that moved so it's in line since I assume a newer style cap would be used when the pump gets replaced.
EDIT: I now see the 1-inch pitless on the invoice.
img_6.jpg

The well casing coming up measures just over 18" circumference so if my math is right, that's a 6" OD.
That would either be a 5.5 inch ID casing or a 5 inch, depending on the accuracy of your measurement. Your 18 inches corresponds to 5.73 inch OD, which is too small for 5.5 inch casing. Either is big enough to pass a flow inducer sleeve past a regular trapezoidal pitless.

They may also raise the casing to newer standards. Or maybe that will be fine, since it is still safe and grandfathered.

I think pulling those 4 screws to lift the cap will not be in danger of dropping anything. But still get other opinions.
It's pretty fancy having the drilling company name actually cast in. I was picturing a plate with the name stamped or engraved in. The drilling company will be glad to see the photos, I suspect. I wonder if after investing so much in those round caps, they were slower to start using pitless adapters.

Last edited:

Watson524

Reaction score
That could be normal before a second has elapsed. I would try giving it 5 seconds for the current to come down.

It had to be on there longer than 5 or so because I took the clamp off the one side and put it on the other (it read the same on both sides). I can let it go a bit longer but that seems risky, no?

I suspect you don't have a pitless adapter, but rather an elbow of some sort through the casing. When you get that pulled, They will probably put in a pitless adapter. If you dig out the place for them to access the existing fitting and where the new pitless would go, that might keep the cost down a bit.

I'd definitely do at least the bulk of the digging myself since we have the backhoe, tho the next 2 days are ok and then rain for like a week on already saturated ground here in NE PA so that doesn't make me feel great about taking the backhoe down there but doable.....

That would either be a 5.5 inch ID casing or a 5 inch, depending on the accuracy of your measurement. Your 18 inches corresponds to 5.73 inch OD, which is too small for 5.5 inch casing. Either is big enough to pass a flow inducer sleeve past a regular trapezoidal pitless.

If I can take that cap off, I can get a better picture. Good news tho about being able to get a flow inducer sleeve in there tho. Are they really pieces of PVC split and clamped on or is that the old way of doing it (I was reading up on some threads here).

They may also raise the casing to newer standards. Or maybe that will be fine, since it is still safe and grandfathered.

Interesting since the casing really doesn't look different from the well we had drilled at our old house in 2002.

I think pulling those 4 screws to lift the cap will not be in danger of dropping anything. But still get other opinions.
It's pretty fancy having the drilling company name actually cast in. I was picturing a plate with the name stamped or engraved in. The drilling company will be glad to see the photos, I suspect. I wonder if after investing so much in those round caps, they were slower to start using pitless adapters.

It's common around here for the companies to have caps like that. Different company did our old house's well in 2002. Flat cap, tho not round, has the bump out for the wires, but the well company's name is on it and even spots for GPM and depth (tho not marked).

Will wait to see if anyone else chimes in on the cap and taking the 4 bolts off and "nudging" it up and off

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is just a pitless cap. Yes you can take it off. It is not holding the pump up. There is a slide on the inside of the pitless adapter that is holding the pump up. Take the well cap off and you can see the top of the pitless.

Watson524

Reaction score
That is just a pitless cap. Yes you can take it off. It is not holding the pump up. There is a slide on the inside of the pitless adapter that is holding the pump up. Take the well cap off and you can see the top of the pitless.
I would love to but we just went down, took the bolts off and let the ring slide down and that cap won't budge. There's a groove on the overhang that has a rubber gasket in it from what it feels like. We took a rubber mallet (because we didn't want to risk cracking the cap with a hammer) and that thing won't budge. Whacked under the lip, directly sideways and on top and it's like the rubber gasket has welded itself there from when it was put on. How hard can you whack on it??

Also ran the generator again and the amps stay high even after 10 seconds so the pump obviously has issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe hit the bottom of a scrap of wood with a hammer, and let that wood press the cap up.

Or maybe lift some with a car jack etc on one edge, and tap the other side.

And then there is heat.

Watson524

Reaction score
Maybe hit the bottom of a scrap of wood with a hammer, and let that wood press the cap up.

Or maybe lift some with a car jack etc on one edge, and tap the other side.

And then there is heat.

Might take the car jack down tomorrow and see.... We considered somehow getting a cable or chain wrapped tight around it and pulling it up with backhoe but that seemed like overkill lol!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think steady lift plus tapping.

That steel is going to be rugged, and I don't think you will displace it.

Watson524

Reaction score
Got the well cap open with the help of a floor jack. It's a 5" ID casing, is that still enough for a flow inducing sleeve? The pitless is down 49" from the top and I can see the ring the rod gets threaded into. Called the well company yesterday and they're going to put me on the list but like everywhere, they're backed up but I told them I'm not an emergency anyway so no big deal.

Attachments

• 20211023_130827~2.jpg
    20211023_130827~2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 107

Reach4

Reaction score
Got the well cap open with the help of a floor jack. It's a 5" ID casing, is that still enough for a flow inducing sleeve?
Yes.

Here are some pipes you could use:
solvent weld D2729 sewer pipe: OD 4.215 ID 4.056 ( white or green)
Schedule 40: OD 4.500 ID 4.026
SDR 35 OD: 4.215 ID 3.97 SDR 35 (PS46) ASTM D3034
https://www.jmeagle.com/sites/default/files/GravitySewer_one-page-slick_v1.pdf
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ASTM-D3034-PSM-PVC-pipe-d_2133.html
gives SDR 35 numbers also.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/JM-eagle-4-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Bell-End-Gravity-Sewer-Pipe-30569/100174444 out of stock last time I checked
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...m-d2729/4x10astm2729solid/p-1444438058058.htm seems in stock. 4" x 10' ASTM D2729

Watson524

Reaction score
Sadly no menards around me but I likely have something in our barn that'll work. We just cleaned out and gave a bunch of stuff away but I kept some 10' lengths of things because you just never know....

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure the schedule 40 would clear the pitless. So test the clearance before building.

Watson524

Reaction score
I am not sure the schedule 40 would clear the pitless. So test the clearance before building.

I have 2 10' lengths of D2729 in the barn, but unfortunately it's the kind with the drain holes, no solid. I do have a solid piece of D2729 that has a bell end on it but it's only 16" long (including the bell) so I don't know if that would be long enough?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I don't know if that would be long enough?
What is the distance from above the pump's water inlet where you would clamp and seal the sleeve to the pump, to the bottom of the pump's motor? (Extending further below the motor is preferred when there is sediment suspended in the water)

index.php

Watson524

Reaction score
What is the distance from above the pump's water inlet where you would clamp and seal the sleeve to the pump, to the bottom of the pump's motor? (Extending further below the motor is preferred when there is sediment suspended in the water)

index.php

At this point I can't say. Well guys have to pull the pump for me and it'll likely have to be replaced. After 48 years, I don't think it owes me anything :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks