Takagi heater won't initiate

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobo

Reaction score
We own a Takagi T-KD20 and the heater worked fine for over ten years but recently it's had an issue staying on when demanding for hot water and the pressure drops over time. At the moment we can't get the heater to kick on AT ALL. (Cold water flows just great though) we've cleaned the water fliter and still nothing. We've drained the pressure tank and made sure everything was set right and made sure the well pump was set correct. We have had black soot also come up (through the pump i believe) so i dont know if that would clog the heater. Haha we have tried everything, but can't seem to get the heater to even initiate anymore so if anyone has any ideas on what it could be I would appreciate the help. Thanks...oh and no error codes either so if that narrows it down.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Do you have the wired remote installed? What is the programmed output temperature?

A bit of clarification would be useful:

By "...the pressure drops..." do you mean to say flow is reduced? By "Cold water flows just great..." do you mean to say that the flow through the unit is just fine when the burner isn't firing?

I'm not sure what "...black soot also come up ..." means. Come from where, sent to where? Is the exhaust vent pipe sooty? The phrase "...through the pump i believe..." makes it sound as if there is soot in your water?

Some random possiblities:

Crud in the water could cause the flow-sensor to stick. If no flow is sensed, it won't fire up.

If you have hard water and the heat exchanger is limed up , there may not be sufficient flow to detect, ergo no fire. Have you ever de-limed the thing in it's 10+ years of service? (On some wells deliming is an annual event to keep a tankless running).

With the power off, pull the screen filter and open up the isolating valves to see if you can't back-flush any crud that may be sticking in the heat exchanger (or flow sensor) impeding flow. Catch the water in a bucket, to be able to inspect any particles that might come out.

Phil Armstrong

Reaction score
As Dana says deliming is always a good place to start, if there is build up it is harder to detect incoming flow and will knock the activation temp up. Deliming should be done once every 1 or 2 years at least.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks