Taco 5000 male union size/substitute?

Users who are viewing this thread

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I have a situation where I need to troubleshoot about a dozen Taco 5000 series mixing valves. They all have sweat unions so I’m lookin to make a bypass and a plug so I can run the setups without the mixing valves (bypass the tank hot to supply hot and plug mixing cold inlet). Does anybody know a fitting I can use for where the mail side of the mixing valve would connect to the union? I really don’t want to have to unsweat/resweat all of these. That would be no bueno.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure what your set is since there is no such thing as a sweat union. I'm assuming the copper pipe is sweated on and the compression fittings were not used? Check out this PDF file. It might give you some ideas.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Taco-5000-3-Build-Your-Own.pdf
5004-HX-C3_33440_600.png

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what your set is since there is no such thing as a sweat union. I'm assuming the copper pipe is sweated on and the compression fittings were not used? Check out this PDF file. It might give you some ideas.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Taco-5000-3-Build-Your-Own.pdf

that picture is the same setup I have. So I’m looking to connect the female sides of fitting to a male fitting that is the same as the valve. That way I can remove valve. Insert fitting I make ( bridge hw and plug cw) and test without having to do a bunch of temporary sweats, remove insulation etc.

Fitter30

Reaction score
All three unions are probably special because they have a gasket in them. Why not buy another body then swap them? If water quality is bad they will have to be soaked to clean.

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
All three unions are probably special because they have a gasket in them. Why not buy another body then swap them? If water quality is bad they will have to be soaked to clean.
I need to run the circuits with no mixing valve... long story. So I need to remove the mixing valve, connect the two hot lines, and plug the cold line where the valve was. I guess I could just buy a mixing valve and gut it and tap a plug in the cold side. Was hoping someone might have some simple knowledge.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Manufacturers make almost everything just a little different just enough that it not easy to replace any part easily. With body in hand might find a dielectric union it would be a long shot.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks