Taco 007 f5 problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry Blsair

Reaction score
Couldn't figure out where to put this thread so since I have a tankless heat system decided here.

I have a TACO 007 feeding a tankless heater and then the water goes back to a 40 gal tank. It ran great last season but when I turned it on this year the pump seems to have quit. Took the pump apart and it is running though I think is isn't turning very fast. Not 3700 rpm as the face plate claims. Took the pump over to the sink and set it up to pump water from the sink back to the sink so there is 0 head on it. It is probably pumping 1 cup a minute.

I had an old 007 that the pump shaft had broken so I took the cartridge out of the newer pump and put in it and the old housing - same thing - very little water. I suppose that the cartridge is toast. The housing gets really hot if left on for 5 minutes or so. The impeller is turning and there is water in the pump but no throughput.

Is the 007 big enough to feed a tankless heater. All the pipe in and out is 3/4 copper. About 5 ft of copper out of the tank to the pump and then to the heater and the same from the heater back to the tank. The system is pressurized to 18-20 psi.

Another question - what is the deal with the price of cartridges? You would think they were tied to the cost of gun ammo :) I can buy a complete new pump for $10 more than the cartridge. Just wondering.

Thanks for any thoughts
Larry

Fitter30

Reaction score
They price the cartridge high so the most people will buy the whole pump and the supply houses don't have to stock more inventory. Pump prices are competitive with other brands. Without knowing the specs on your equipment can't comment if it big enough. Pumps rated 10' of head and 23 gpm looking at a pump curve.

Larry Blsair

Reaction score
I have a 40 gal electric heater tank that I am using for heat storage. I took out the heat electrodes and the bottom hose bib. I have an expansion tank at the high point of the system and have bleed all the air from the piping and let all the air out of the 40 storage tank via the hot temp pop off valve

1. The output from the tank is the side bottom fitting where the bottom heat electrode was inserted, about 20 inches up the side of the tank.
2. I took the heat electrode out and put in a 3/4 in copper fitting.
3. There is a 90 degree elbow and about 20 inches of 3/4 copper pipe toward the floor,
4. another elbow that goes into the taco 007.
5. out of the pump across the floor about 30 inches and then up 36 inches into the cold input in the bottom of a Rheem 185K gas heater.
6. Out of the hot fitting 36 inches down to the floor, across the floor about 40 inches
7. and then back up 24 inches into the top side fitting of the tank.
8. All the fittings and pipe is 3/4 inch sweat copper. there should be minimum head on it so I would think that the pump should move the water easily.

1. I bought a new 007 and put it in place and it worked for a while and now it seems to have quit.
2.The pump is on.
3. water temp into the heater is 100 degrees,
4. The heater is set to heat to 140 degrees.
5. the heater is not running so I know that there is no water moving.
6.The pump is to hot to touch

I temporarily put a taco 009 in to pump into the gas heater and it works great.

What is happening to these 007 that they quit after a while?

If anyone wants more info about the configuration please ask and I will try to explain

I live in the middle of WY. The nearest heating guy knows how to chop wood for a fire place to heat the house so I have had to designed and built this myself. I used to be a plumber in a past life and then there is all kinds of help on line to design and build radiant hot water floor systems so I think I have a fairly good design

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Larry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks