Sweating PEX Barbs vs. Using Sharkbites

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I had a plumber come in yesterday to lower my drain line for my new sink. I don't know why I didn't attempt this myself, since it wasn't a particularly difficult job. I figured while he was here, I would have him sweat on PEX barbs. I am moving the sink out of the corner, and I'm planning to run PEX lines to the new location. He surprised me by saying that they "rarely solder unless necessary," and that they almost exclusively use Sharkbites. I didn't bother having them do the work, since I could install Sharkbites myself. I'm wondering what I should do. I have been teaching myself to solder over the last 2 weeks, and I think I can do it. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, and my technique has improved. I'm just nervous, because I haven't done any lines that are actually "in service." I'm sure I could call a different plumber, but then I'll have to pay another $175. I guess I could technically use Sharkbites, but I always feel like it's a lower quality installation. Maybe that's not even true. I was so surprised to find a licensed plumber that uses them exclusively.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should take that final leap and solder it yourself. if it leaks, drain the water, apply some flux and hit the joint with your solder again. You can ALWAYS re-solder a brand new joint.

Reach4

Reaction score
The new plumbing silver-bearing solders plus the tinning fluxes solder really nicely. Pipe must be absolutely empty of water. Sharkbites can go on a wet pipe.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as you take the time to prepare the pipe and fittings properly and you feel like you have enough practice then I'd say go for it.
It stinks you got a lazy and/or unskilled plumber out there. Soldering should be one of those things any plumber should be willing and prepared to do. The only time I use sharkbites is to make a temporary repair and I know I'll be returning to do the job properly. I also use propress on some jobs but I know a lot of the old school plumbers look down on that like I look down on sharkbites, haha.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks