Swap from residential to commercial control on a gas HWH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Micah Donahue

Reaction score
I have a State power vent HWH (GP6-50-YTVIT) that I'd like a bit more high temp from. I currently get 145 degree water and would like 160 out of it. That's still a lot less than the 180 that a lot of commercial heaters put out.

It appears to be the same basic unit as one of State's commercial models (SHE-50-76NE), but the commercial has a control that has 3 more temp steps on it. Does anyone know if I could swap to the commercial control? I'm comfortable doing that, I'm just wondering if anything else (like the burner) would need to change.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
HJ this is a LAWSUIT looking to happen.

Commercial applications such as scullery machine, pot scrubber require 160 -180 deg for sterilization in lieu of chemicals

Residential Showers and bath tubs 120 DEG F MAX

Most applications require 125 DEG max

Modern dishwashers have "Sanitize" setting so the water is heated by the appliance and above 140 is no longer needed for domestic water lines UNLESS your nervous about legionaries disease or E coli then 140 is needed BUT each fixture would require an anti scald device look up ASME

If someone is going to increase the temperature to a dangerous level they had better install a tempering / mixing valve such as a Holby (Which is NOT an anti scald device) and then install pressure balance or temperature balance shower valves and adjust these showers yearly to allow for increase or decrease of temperature for seasonal changes

I would strong suggest reading the ASME White pages and local plumbing codes

This was a case I was called to testify not only was I paid $8,400 + to appear in court for 3 days I was also given 10% bonus after the case was settled (This is how I bought my first Lexus)

https://pospislaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Clinindin-v.-NYCHA.pdf

Micah Donahue

Reaction score
To one point above, yes there is a thermo mix valve in the system separating high and low temps. Thanks for asking about that, and for pointing out the risks if not present.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks