Surge protector for soda ash pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

WinstonXL

Reaction score
I’m wiring my soda ash pump directly to my pressure switch so it will only run when the well pump is on. This is one of the methods recommended by the company I purchased it from. I previously had it connected to a flow switch but have had issues with it sticking on or off. The company recommends I install a surge protector on the soda ash pump side to protect it from a potential surge coming back from the well pump but does not have any suggestions on installing one. Any thoughts on installing a surge protector for the soda ash pump? Is it needed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't normally use them on injection pumps. But I would think you just wire it to the hot wire from the pressure switch. It will need a good ground and probably an enclosure. You can power a circuit breaker with surge protector in an enclosure with wires from the pressure switch. Then wire from there to the injector pump.

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
Electrical engineer guy chiming in here. My motto is that anything of high value ALWAYS gets a surge protector. I prefer the little wall kind that plug into the outlet. They can be easily replaced. For equipment of really high value, I not only use that, but also a battery backup / power conditioner w/ surge protection. Right there that costs me $150 max, to protect and condition the power to prevent future problems on super expensive equipment.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is the pressure switch contacts have enough amps for both pumps? Are both pumps either 120vac or 240vac if different voltages don't like unbalanced load.

WinstonXL

Reaction score
The well pump already runs off 240. The injection pump is duel voltage and can run off of 120 or 240. The injection pump pulls a max 22watts. They said customers connect that way all the time. My main concern is I don’t want to harm my well pump or the injection pump. Will 22 watts be an issue?

From the company I purchased it from…
  1. You can cut off the plug (this Does Not void the Warranty and is what we recommend if you are using it for 220V) and wire it directly to your 220V pressure switch. This last method should only be done by a qualified technician.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could also install an outlet in line. What plug is there? Nema 6-15P?
white-leviton-outlets-5029-w-64_300.jpg

WinstonXL

Reaction score
It came with a regular 120 type plug, but it says you can cut the plug and hard wire for 240

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The well pump already runs off 240. The injection pump is duel voltage and can run off of 120 or 240. The injection pump pulls a max 22watts. They said customers connect that way all the time. My main concern is I don’t want to harm my well pump or the injection pump. Will 22 watts be an issue?

From the company I purchased it from…
  1. You can cut off the plug (this Does Not void the Warranty and is what we recommend if you are using it for 220V) and wire it directly to your 220V pressure switch. This last method should only be done by a qualified technician.
Won't hurt anything. You can also pull a ground or neutral at the pressure switch with one hot wire and have 115V.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just curious: when you change between 120 or 240, is there a jumper/switch change a the injection pump? Or the pump just takes a wide range of voltages?

WinstonXL

Reaction score
Just curious: when you change between 120 or 240, is there a jumper/switch change a the injection pump? Or the pump just takes a wide range of voltages?
They said it’s duel voltage right out of the box, no switch. Just use the attached cord for 120 or cut and hard wire for 240.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks