Sump pump running frequenty

Users who are viewing this thread

groundwater

Reaction score
Hello experts! I moved into a home recently and have noticed one of the two sump pumps runs rather frequently. Goes for about 10 seconds every 10 minutes or so, maybe more frequently if it is raining. The builder had to raise the basement level 2 feet due to a high water table but my main concern is the way the window well drain was installed.

It has two openings for the intake pipes (corrugated black pipe) at 90 degrees that look like were manufactured into the basin. However, there is a third opening for the window well drain (PVC) that was very roughly cut out. I've tried to draw it out in the attached picture

The pump turns on when the water level is about 1/3rd of the way up the window well pipe. It pumps the water down, well below the window well drain, and then shuts off. However, as soon as the water level drops, the window well pipe drains as well as water that comes gushing in through the rough cutout. Within 10 seconds or so the water level is about 1/4 of the way up the window well pipe again.

To me it seems like this isn't ideal. Should I try and seal up the rough opening around the window well pipe? I'm not sure the pipe could be raised any due to the required slope. My other thought was getting a deeper basin but then I may just be pumping out more of the water table.

I do have two sumps, one in the corner of the house with the windows well that runs frequently and the other is on the opposite side of the house. I've never heard it run, but have verified it is functional. I've also recently purchase a battery-run pump as a backup but have yet to install it yet.

I appreciate any of your thoughts.

sump.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pump turns on when the water level is about 1/3rd of the way up the window well pipe. It pumps the water down, well below the window well drain, and then shuts off. However, as soon as the water level drops, the window well pipe drains as well as water that comes gushing in through the rough cutout. Within 10 seconds or so the water level is about 1/4 of the way up the window well pipe again.
Your cut-in height is too low. See if you can raise the cut-in height so that the window well drain pipe is completely submerged and possibly even the upper drain. The pipes will store more water than the sump well alone allowing the pump to run longer and less often.

Sealing around the pipe is not likely to work. In fact, I'd suggest drilling many more holes around the well to facilitate the surrounding water entering faster so the pump doesn't shut off before the surrounding level is pumped down. Can the cut-out level be lowered any?

When my builder put in my sump well, he drilled a few holes in it but the water was entering the well slower than the pump would remove it so the level would quickly come up just as you describe. I drilled many more holes to let the water come in faster so the pump would not shut off before the surrounding area drained.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump. No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.

I also use a Basepump water powered backup sump pump. If you are on city water and not on a well they work great.
I hope this helps.
Jim

groundwater

Reaction score
Your cut-in height is too low. See if you can raise the cut-in height so that the window well drain pipe is completely submerged and possibly even the upper drain.

Thanks LLigetfa, when you say cut-in height, do you mean on the float switch so that it lets more water collect before turning on?

I tried turning of the pump for a few hours then plugged it back in. It would run for about 8 seconds, then turn off for about 15 seconds after which the water from the rough hole around the window well filled it back up. This cycled for about 12 times before it started to slow down. I think you are right that the water from below the drains can't get in fast enough. I guess if it is high enough to start filling the inlet drains then it would pour in quicker-- or at least let the pump eject a larger volume of water at a time.

Last edited:

groundwater

Reaction score
I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump.

Jim, thanks for the suggestion, that looks like it might fit the bill. Do you have to do any maintenance to the sensors, like a monthly cleaning?

Reach4

Reaction score
To increase the deadband on a float switch on a tether, lengthen the tether.

It sounds as if your pump is maybe bigger than ideal for this. Yet you want the pump to be able to keep up when there is a max water coming in.

groundwater

Reaction score
To increase the deadband on a float switch on a tether, lengthen the tether.

It sounds as if your pump is maybe bigger than ideal for this. Yet you want the pump to be able to keep up when there is a max water coming in.
I have a Zoeller 53. It looks like they have a long cycle kit, but the pit would need to be at least 43in deep.

I would agree, the pump seems to be oversized. I have the same model pump in the second sump but it never runs as it doesn't have the window well cutout so the water would have to get up to the inlet level.

I just got the HydroCheck HC6000 so we'll see how that goes...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks