Suggestions for small toilet + washlet

Users who are viewing this thread

vortic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping for a little help choosing a toilet. I've been doing quite a bit of research but have not really found what I'm looking for.

I'm a homeowner with a very small bathroom that currently has a vintage toilet (1952 I think!) that needs to be replaced. There is not much space between the toilet and sink, which is directly in front of the toilet. There is no chance of actually bringing it to code without an extensive remodel.

I'm looking for a toilet that will:
- fit a 12" rough-in
- maximize space between the toilet and the sink, which is directly in front of the toilet
- allow me to comfortably install a separate heated washlet (I prefer not build-in for maintenance reasons)

Does anyone have suggestions on toilets that might fit my needs? I am somewhat price conscious. I'd prefer to spend less than $300 for the toilet itself, but may be willing to go a ways higher for the right fit.

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
I'm a homeowner with a very small bathroom that currently has a vintage toilet (1952 I think!) that needs to be replaced. There is not much space between the toilet and sink, which is directly in front of the toilet. There is no chance of actually bringing it to code without an extensive remodel.
As Mr. young has posted, an actual measurement between the front of your existing commode and the sink would be helpful.
I'm looking for a toilet that will:
- fit a 12" rough-in
- maximize space between the toilet and the sink, which is directly in front of the toilet
- allow me to comfortably install a separate heated washlet (I prefer not build-in for maintenance reasons)
We have had a Toto Vespin II in the more crowded of our two bathrooms for 13 years, and it has worked well for us; it has an INAX advanced toilet seat ("Washlet®" is a registered trademark of Toto for what sometimes are called bidet seats) mounted on it, and the INAX seat is more or less completely independent of the Vespin II. In 13 years, we never have had a problem with the advanced toilet seat. The toilet seat and the Vespin II commode share the water supply to the toilet via a simple T-joint, and there is an electric connection to the seat that requires a grounded outlet. INAX (Lixil) purchased American Standard a few years back, and immediately significantly downgraded its toilet lines in the United States to entry-level Home Depot units, but Brondell offers INAX-equivalent seats here in its Swash line.

Four years ago, we replaced an older American Standard toilet in our master bathroom with a Kohler Betello that is more compact than the Vespin II in the other bathroom. The Betello has a 12" rough-in, and may be priced above your budget, but it is a solid and very reliable toilet with a 1.28 gallon flush that actually evacuates the toilet bowl better and more thoroughly than our Vespin II does. Kohler used some clever strategies to make the Betello more compact; for instance, the upper component (the water closet) of the Betello is taller than it is wide or deep, and is shaped like a funnel, which accelerates the water (Bernoulli Effect) as it leaves the tank, in aid of flushing.

There are documents on the Kohler website that will provide you with the actual dimensions of the Betello, so you can measure your space to determine how the Betello would fit into your home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks