Submersible Pump Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

ACEschborn

Reaction score
Reaching out for a little help with my well system...

Right now there is no water in the house. Pump is a Gould 7GS05422, install date of January 2002. The pressure tank is a well-x-trol, install date sometime in 2017. The pressure switch was replaced at the same time. Well downpipe was replaced in 2009. The brass fitting connecting the down pipe to the pitless adapter was replaced within the last couple years. The fitting connecting the horizontal run to the well casing was replaced two years ago.

Poking around with the multimeter, I realized a 15a TL fuse at the service disconnect was blown. Replaced the fuse, turned on power, and it immediately blew again. The romex going to the pump is not in conduit.

I'm not sure it's related, but within the last week my wife had an issue when filling the tub. The faucet spouted some air, and then returned to filling but at a reduced flow (anecdotally, not measured). I'm not sure we've noticed any other issues recently.

So, bad pump? Some rodent chew through the electrical cable? What would be the next diagnostic step?

TIA

-ace

ACEschborn

Reaction score
Further troubleshooting - replaced the fuse, disconnected the electrical at the well head, turned power on, no short. So, time to pull the pump...

Reach4

Reaction score
Time to pull the pump.

What is your wire size? You might want a 230 volt pump to reduce currents. Those 20 amp dual element fuses are pretty expensive.

I'm not sure it's related, but within the last week my wife had an issue when filling the tub. The faucet spouted some air, and then returned to filling but at a reduced flow (anecdotally, not measured). I'm not sure we've noticed any other issues recently.
Pump could be low on water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would cut the Romex at the well head and check from there. Not good to pull the pump then find out it was a short in the underground wire going over to the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks