Stuck shower stems

Users who are viewing this thread

maggiemay904

Reaction score
Hiya.
I am trying to replace my valve stems, seats and handles. However I can not get these things off for anything. Ive tried the plumber socket set, pb blaster, pipe wrench, channel locks. And nothing. It just won't budge. Any tips or advice? It should just turn & come off right?
\
23519077_10156045559777625_4033518462751265592_n.jpg
23472462_10156045559992625_3546183365035838655_n.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes. A socket or Crescent wrench will do it, but replace the 'packing nut" on the hot stem, or you will deform the stem's body and have to replace it. It is a Gerber faucet.Why the big hole in the wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be able to spin out the stems you have with a socket set, or a wrench.
It looks like you're connected on the bottom side with plastic. Go a little careful there.

pp_3v.gif

Maybe not what you have, but the tools you need.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use 12-point socket, 1/2 in drive, with a breaker bar. Not sure what your nut size is but might be a 13/16. You'll have to cut the stem off with a hacksaw to get the socket on.

tub-sockets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maggiemay904,

You have 2 options:

1. Use the right size socket and a seat wrench to remove the old stems, then install new seats and stems.

2. Replace the faucet, with the same kind or with a one handle faucet. You have 2 unions for the hot and cold supply and a riser. When you unscrew the unions, make sure you don't drop the nuts inside the wall cavity. The riser should be replaced, it's rusting away.

All of the above require knowledge, experience, muscle power plus the right tools. If you can't do it, you will have to call a plumber.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use 12-point socket, 1/2 in drive, with a breaker bar. Not sure what your nut size is but might be a 13/16. You'll have to cut the stem off with a hacksaw to get the socket on.
Sorry, Charlie, but these guys will often slip around before the nut breaks loose. You may need a real deep socket.
tub-sockets.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks