Strange Experience with Kohler Lav Fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

trg12

Reaction score
I have a carbon water filtration tank that came with my house, and I had the carbon changed Thursday for the first time. Afterward, the installer said to run the water from several faucets for 5 minutes, then shut them off for 10, then run for another 5, to clear out carbon dust.

I did that, and later that night, when I went to use a lav faucet, I heard it leaking from underneath into the vanity. I looked underneath and confirmed that this was the case, with both hot and cold. I tried the other bathroom, and it leaked on one side. Both fixtures are Kohler Coralais single-handle.

The next day I called Kohler to ask if they knew what was happening. The rep said that if it wasn't leaking out from under the handle, it wasn't the cartridge--it had to be the fixture itself. I asked if this meant that the solder joints where the copper inlet tubes meet the body had cracked, and she said that was probably it.

The fixtures have a lifetime warranty, so they're sending replacements (though I'll have to wait a week or two for them to arrive), but I'm having a hard time understanding how running water through them for 5 minutes or so could cause something like this to happen. Before I pull the old fixtures off, has anyone encountered this before, or is there another possible explanation--preferably one that doesn't involve replacing the fixtures?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you saying that 2 faucets started to leak after you replaced a water filter?
I don't see the connection here, unless you touched the bodies of the faucet or moved them or?
Can you send pics?

trg12

Reaction score
Yes, the faucets started leaking through the countertop mounting holes into the cabinet after I ran water through them for 5-10 minutes (twice). It's not really related to changing the charcoal, except that was the reason I ran the water so long. I don't understand it either, which is why I'm asking. I'd rather not turn on the water again to get pictures, since I had to use a fan to dry out one of the cabinets, and I'm not sure it would show much--just water coming out of the mounting holes. I think I'll probably have to remove the fixtures, but before I do, am just wondering if anyone has run into anything like this before.

ajmckay2

Reaction score
Possibly the old filter was clogged. Maybe replacing the filter increased the pressure which caused a minor weak spot to become a leak? I guess you'll find out when you replace them. If you don't mind come back and post what you found.

trg12

Reaction score
It's not really a filter in the sense of pleated paper--it's just a tank with granulated carbon that the water passes through. It doesn't get clogged, but if it did, I'd notice, because water to the house would stop flowing. What I find hard to understand is how there could be a minor weak spot in 3 of 4 solder connections where the copper inlet tubes meet the bodies of the two fixtures. I'm going to wait till the new fixtures get here before I pull the old ones, but I will update this thread--including pictures, if relevant.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe the new carbon was not backwashed long enough initially. Then the lavatory aerator screen got clogged with fine carbon. The increased backpressure caused the already-present leak to become more obvious. That's my alternative to coincidence, anyway.

Last edited:

trg12

Reaction score
It doesn't backwash--it's just a straight in-and-out tank. I cleaned the aerators after running the water through them, and they were pretty clean. Personally, I think I'm in the Twilight Zone, and I'd really like to consult Rod Serling. But hopefully it'll have some logical conclusion once I get the old fixtures off and can take a look at them. ("Old" is relative here--I installed them only four years ago.)

trg12

Reaction score
Now THAT was a good idea, plumber69! I had removed the aerators after the carbon was changed, cleaned and replaced them. They weren't very dirty, and the flow seemed okay. However, I just did it again, and the leaking disappeared. I don't understand it--maybe the aerators were forcing some of the water back down the spout and into the cabinet. But they seem to be fine now. You win the MVP (Most Valuable Plumber) award for the night! Thanks again! And Kohler thanks you--they'll get their new fixtures back.

Reach4, thanks to you too--almost but not quite the answer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks