Sterling Hinged Shower Install?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYeditor

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am obviously new to the forum and although my name states I'm the video editor for the DIY Network and you'd figure I'd learn from all the projects we do, shower door installs isn't one I have run across yet and I need your help.

There were no specific instructions on exactly how the bottom piece that runs from side rail to side rail should sit and now that I have the side pieces up along the walls, I can't seem to figure out how to fit that piece in. I tried to slide it in between the 3-sided metal rails and it's very very tough and, I can see that I'm bending it trying to drop it in there.

It said in the cutting section that if I cut the bottom floor rail too short, It'll void the warranty (big deal) but I think I can make it work if I could just lop off a few more cm's. It said I had to measure from wall to wall above the bended corners at the bottom which has made it almost impossible to now fit it down between the metal side rails.

So did I install the side rails too low because it doesn't say anywhere that the rails have to sit so far offthe bottom and is this piece supposed to slide under the rails for the install? The instructions show it dropping in between the rails but it's not working for me. Has anybody had a similar install and know the way out? I can send pics if needed.

Thanks,
G

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1034028_2.pdf

Don't know what model you have. I just picked one from sterling to look at the instructions. The instructions are detailed about cutting the bottom track, and it does get installed after the sides. It says the edge of the bottom track gets butted up against the front protrusion of the side rail. Check your instructions in detail for measurements.

DIYeditor

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. I did see that in the instructions but I'm confused as to what the front protrusion is. Is it the ribbed lines on the front inside part of the rails or do they mean front outside? If it's the inside, those raised lines on the inside are what are causing me trouble slipping the piece down to the bottom.

I think I should cut the bottom a bit more so I have some wiggle room. The side rails once caulked will provide moisture protection where the bottom rail does'nt exactly touch the shower walls. Right now the bottom piece is very snug to the walls and I'm just going to cut out a very small sliver to give me room. So again is the front protrusion the outside or inside of the side rail?

Thanks,
G

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks