steam radiator valve for hot water heat

Users who are viewing this thread

chickenbrown

Reaction score
My house was converted to hot water heat from steam. All of it was re-piped in 3/4" copper including two original cast iron radiators in the foyer. These two are connected properly in the loop but they used a steam angle valve on both the supply and return. Probably to enable removal of the radiator with out draining down the system. My question is: Will these valves restrict the flow of the circulator pump? I don't know the name of these valves. They are not gate valves or another type that would allow water flow unrestricted. The spindle, attached to a rubber washer wiggles like its loose. The valves are new, not original but i am pretty sure they are the wrong type.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
My house was converted to hot water heat from steam. All of it was re-piped in 3/4" copper including two original cast iron radiators in the foyer. These two are connected properly in the loop but they used a steam angle valve on both the supply and return. Probably to enable removal of the radiator with out draining down the system. My question is: Will these valves restrict the flow of the circulator pump? I don't know the name of these valves. They are not gate valves or another type that would allow water flow unrestricted. The spindle, attached to a rubber washer wiggles like its loose. The valves are new, not original but i am pretty sure they are the wrong type.

When you say loop are you talking about a loop system? What type of radiation is in the rest of the house? If it is copper fin baseboard the two should not be mixed unless they are on separate zones. One valve is all that is needed on each radiators. There should be no washers in hot water valves.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

The difference between a steam valve and a hot water valve, is that the hot water valve has a small bypass opening which allows a small amount of circulation to occur even when the valve is closed. This is to ensure that the radiator always has a little heat to it so it does not freeze. There is no real problem with using a steam valve for hot water, but you cannot use a hot water valve for steam heating. The steam valve WILL shut off the flow entirely so the radiator could be removed, which would not be possible if they had used hot water valves.

chickenbrown

Reaction score
When you say loop are you talking about a loop system? What type of radiation is in the rest of the house? If it is copper fin baseboard the two should not be mixed unless they are on separate zones. One valve is all that is needed on each radiators. There should be no washers in hot water valves.

John

cast iron baseboard. right about one valve but this is existing.

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks