Radiant Heat Add Zone Valves Or Manifold Valves To Stop Ghost Heating

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianLentz

Reaction score
We installed radiant heat in our new pole building that is part garage and part apartment. We have 2 zones - garage (4 loop manifold) and apartment (3 loop manifold). Everything works pretty well but we noticed that when the zone for the apartment runs the garage lines heat up some too.

The taco controller turns on a pump for each zone when the thermostat calls for heat. We believe that the ghost heating happens because the boiler is pumping the hot water out and it flows through both lines because there isn’t a valve that shuts off either line. So even though the pump on the garage lines is off there is still some flow caused by the boiler.

Solution Option 1:
Install a valve on each zone that is opened by the taco controller as it turns the pump on.

Solution Option 2:
Install Manifold Actuator Valves - 4 on the garage manifold and 3 on the apartment manifold. They would be installed in series and controlled by the taco controller.

Which way is the best way to fix our ghost heating issue?

How would we go about wiring them?

The taco controller we have is SR503 3 zone switching relay.

Attachments

• IMG_8247.jpeg
    IMG_8247.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 103

BrianLentz

Reaction score
Westinghouse Combination Condensing LP Wall Boiler. I cant find the Model #. I'm not sure if it is the 140k or 199k BTU. It is either WBRCLP140W or WBRCLP199W.

image0.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks