Steam heat in toe kick of kitchen cabinets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
Our house has a one pipe steam heat system. We have renovated our kitchen and no longer have wall space for the base board radiator. Our contractor relocated the steam heat base board radiator in the toe kick area of our cabinets. However, the cabinets are getting extremely hot. We believe the heat will eventually damage the cabinets. Another contractor suggested incorporating a small fan to circulate the air to prevent the cabinets from getting hot. Then he will box out the base board radiator with trim which will include louvres to allow the hot air to escape. Has anyone ever done this? Do you think this will work? If you have any other ideas to heat the kitchen with steam heat, we welcome suggestions.

IMG_0412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
The tie kick doesn't have a fan incorporated into it already?
Correct. A different contractor suggested incorporating an a 4" exhaust fan to pull air and then box in the steam pipe with molding. The "box" will container louvers to allow the heat to escape and be decorative. We would love to know if anyone thinks this will work. Our goal is to try to avoid an electric toe kick heater.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Radiate heated wood floor 80° is max temperature. Just comparing wood floor to the cabinet.
Fin tube mounted under toe kick isn't going to work properly they need a air gap of several inches above and below for the convection to work. Even with a fan I'd be worried about drying out the wood cabinets. Looks like 1" 2.5/x2.5" fin tube 1157 btu per ft @1 lb steam.

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
Radiate heated wood floor 80° is max temperature. Just comparing wood floor to the cabinet.
Fin tube mounted under toe kick isn't going to work properly they need a air gap of several inches above and below for the convection to work. Even with a fan I'd be worried about drying out the wood cabinets. Looks like 1" 2.5/x2.5" fin tube 1157 btu per ft @1 lb steam.
Thank you! What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me. Do you think the steam baseboard heat would work under an island? The height of the island will be at least 34” high. Or should I simply just invest in electric toe kick heaters?

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
Thank you! What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me. Do you think the steam baseboard heat would work under an island? The height of the island will be at least 34” high. Or should I simply just invest in electric toe kick heaters?
Another alternative someone suggested is remove the fins from the steam pipe? However, I imagine the pipe will still be hot enough to damage the cabinets over time and may not give off enough heat to properly heat the kitchen.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I think of a toe kick heater I think of a standard designed toe kick space heater which is designed with a fan to blow the heat away. They are great and work great. I'm not really sure how they plan on adding a fan, but it should be fine with one, as long as they can move enough air and set up a control that functions with the heat, which I don't see being practical. What fan will they get that is as long as that pipe? I see they added a "heat shield" which should help, but unless they have some kind of engineered assembly I don't see that being a very good plan.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Another alternative someone suggested is remove the fins from the steam pipe? However, I imagine the pipe will still be hot enough to damage the cabinets over time and may not give off enough heat to properly heat the kitchen.
Another problem with the baseboard u have 215° f tube toe kick heaters are flush with the toe kick board. Yours is just waiting to be kicked and burn a naked foot. Bare tubing doesn't really put out a lot of btu's compared to properly installed f tube.

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
When I think of a toe kick heater I think of a standard designed toe kick space heater which is designed with a fan to blow the heat away. They are great and work great. I'm not really sure how they plan on adding a fan, but it should be fine with one, as long as they can move enough air and set up a control that functions with the heat, which I don't see being practical. What fan will they get that is as long as that pipe? I see they added a "heat shield" which should help, but unless they have some kind of engineered assembly I don't see that being a very good plan.
Thank you very much for you input! Sound like the best thing to do is removed this heating source, repair the floor and cabinet, then just use an electric toe kick heater as the heat source.

oniso

Reaction score
Our house has a one pipe steam heat system. We have renovated our kitchen and no longer have wall space for the base board radiator. Our contractor relocated the steam heat base board radiator in the toe kick area of our cabinets. However, the cabinets are getting extremely hot. We believe the heat will eventually damage the cabinets. Another contractor suggested incorporating a small fan to circulate the air to prevent the cabinets from getting hot. Then he will box out the base board radiator with trim which will include louvres to allow the hot air to escape. Has anyone ever done this? Do you think this will work? If you have any other ideas to heat the kitchen with steam heat, we welcome suggestions. What Color Kitchen Cabinets Are Timeless?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Wood floor manufacturers for radiate heat max temp they want 85°f. The other problem a minimum pitch back to the supply is 1/2" per 10'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks