Sprinkler Pump and Water Pump sharing the same Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackhis

Reaction score
Hi all,
New here, and I need you guys' engineering knowledge.
I have done some research, but I couldn't find enough information to confirm my design, or you can call it, a wild design.
This is a deep well. I think it is about 50 feet deep.
At this moment, the house water pump is a 1HP pump with filter system and so on.
I am also using the same pump for a sprinkler system. I think it is too much for one pump to handle the load of works, so....here it is!
By separating the above set up into 2 systems, I plan to add a T and two check valves, so no back flow from either system (see attached drawing).
The only thing that I don't have much knowledge to determine is what will happen if 2 pumps are running the same time?

What I can see is the both pumps will create a suction from the well and also put draw force on the other system and vise versa.

Any idea how to prevent both pumps from sucking water from each other, or another set up would be appreciated.

Please look at my drawing and give me your opinions.
It will be much appreciative, if you can tell me why it will or will not work.
Thanks much in advance.

MGalleryItem.php

Edit Post Reply

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not a good idea to have two pumps using the same suction pipe. The suction pipe would have to be large enough not to restrict the flow and cause a low NPSH to the pump. Also sometimes when only one pump is running it can suck air in through the seal on the pump that is not running, and you will lose prime.

Why not just get one pump large enough to do everything, and add a Cycle Stop Valve so the large pump can safely work like a small pump when needed?

Jackhis

Reaction score
It is not a good idea to have two pumps using the same suction pipe. The suction pipe would have to be large enough not to restrict the flow and cause a low NPSH to the pump. Also sometimes when only one pump is running it can suck air in through the seal on the pump that is not running, and you will lose prime.

Why not just get one pump large enough to do everything, and add a Cycle Stop Valve so the large pump can safely work like a small pump when needed?
Thanks so much for the advice.
Cyclr stop valve! That is something I need to study more, as I have no knowledge about it.
Yes, I can see the problem that may occur with 2 pumps using the same well and same tubing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you considered using a single submersible pump in the well? Are you using a sand point, or what?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks