Sounds like a bubbling brook, AT THE BOTTOM OF MY WELL! Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
OK, I have an old well on my property. When I moved in it worked. It failed 6-8 years ago. It is about 150 feet deep, has an 8 1/2 inch casing and a 2 1/2 OD pipe. I have it up about 8 feet right now. Why does it sound like a quiet, relaxing Burbling brook at the bottom? I would expect it to be quiet there. Also, there is an odd looking "T" like fitting some 12 to 16 feet down still what was/is its function? I understand torque fitting but that seems awfully far down to be that. The discharge pipe comes out through the TOP. I have built a tower and am pulling it with a pair of come-a long's It is heavy and scary. No, the tower and come- a long's are not supporting it right now, a pair of 8' 4x4s are.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It is possible that the well goes through more than one aquifer and one aquifer has a higher static level and is feeding into the other aquifer. It could also be surface water leaking in.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Is the breaker turned off?
2. Does the well produce water for you up top, or has it not been working?

Supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
The breaker has been turned off years. It does NOT work. There was one wire (going down hole) that was melted. The breaker trips immediately. It, the sound, might from the well passing through more than one aquifer like LLigetfa said. There is an UNLINED canal about 200 yards from it. That might be the source for the multiple aquifers.

After I get it pulled, I will drop a camera down.

That 550 VEVOR is what I was thinking about putting in up top. Then rig it 3-1 instead of 2-1 for 1500 not 1100 to reduce stress. I am also seriously thinking about a DC motor and solar to take it all the way off grid.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What will the function of this well be? Irrigation, livestock?

For a well for a home, 1 inch SIDR polyethylene pipe would usually be good for DIY pump pulling.

2-inch galvanized will be very heavy. 2-inch pvc will still be heavy.

Take photos as you go.

Supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
My house is an old, OK, OLD farm house. Now it is just another house in the neighborhood. It was built in '29. It has a BASEMENT! Something unheard of in California. I am NOW on city water (BIG city well about 1.5 miles from here) but the old well is still there, making me pay for the annual backflow prevention certification, every year. My lot however, is bigger that three of the neighbor's lots put together. Mine is 150x170 while the neighborhood standard is 50x150. I HATE ugly yards and therefore cannot let my yard look worse than the average in the area. I didn't fuss when water was a 200.00 flat rate. Now they want to go mandatory meter and that leads to 350.00 a month for water. (in the summer only) Yea, no can do. I have a pretty big solar system and when water gets more expensive than electricity I re-activate my optional source. I will probably go with plastic pipe vs putting the old steel back in. I am also thinking about a DC pump. and a new separate bank of panels.

Last edited:

Supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
My house is an old, OK, OLD farm house. Now it is just another house in the neighborhood. It was built in '29. It has a BASEMENT! Something unheard of in California. I am NOW on city water but the old well is still there, making me pay for the annual backflow prevention certification, every year. My lot however, is bigger that three of the neighbor's lots put together. Mine is 150x170 while the neighborhood standard is 50x150. I HATE ugly yards and therefore cannot let my yard look worse than the average in the area. I didn't fuss when water was a 200.00 flat rate. Now they want to go mandatory meter and that leads to 350.00 a month for water. (in the summer only) Yea, no can do. I have a pretty big solar system and when water gets more expensive than electricity I re-activate my optional source. I will probably go with plastic pipe vs putting the old steel back in. I am also thinking about a DC pump. and a new separate bank of panels.

derrick postable.jpg
8 foot lift.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not uncommon to hear water flowing or gurgling in some wells. Sorry you have to deal with exorbitant prices, excessive regulations and restrictions in the land of fruits and nuts. People need to stay and fight for what is right instead of leaving n droves as is happening now. Your plan for getting off the grid electric and water sounds good until they start charging you for water and sunshine on your own property.

Reach4

Reaction score
Impressive derrick.

I would think that the money for solar might better be used toward one of the utility generation programs. At least for now, California utilities must use something called "net metering", which lets you sell your solar energy into the utility power at retail rates rather than wholesale generator rates.

Your idea would keep working, even if the utility was off. But usually people like to not water their lawns with sprinklers in the bright sun. Plus the pumps made for solar sell for a premium.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have always said if grid power is available, it is much preferred to the expense and trouble of a windmill or solar powered pump. However, with the cost and lack of dependability of grid power these days I think differently. Having enough water storage tanks to store water when the sun shines, and gravity flow for irrigation any time of day or night is a good method for low pressure applications. Having enough batteries to run the pump will let you irrigate any time of night without storage tanks. But to have water when the sun isn't shining you need enough storage either water tanks or batteries.

Storage tanks last a long time, batteries not so much.

You would need a lot of batteries to irrigate with. Only need a couple batteries for water pressure in the house during the nights. So, a combination of storage tanks for irrigation and a couple batteries for house water might be a good choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks