Sorting out 3-way switch wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

kktalker

Reaction score
I have six circuits, three controlled by 3-way switches and three controlled by single switches:

Location 1 (one whip):
1) 7 kitchen can lights (3-way)
2) 3 island pendants (3-way)
3) 2 dining chandeliers (3-way)

Location 2 (two whips):
1) 7 kitchen can lights (3-way)
2) 3 island pendants (3-way)
3) 2 dining chandeliers (3-way)
4) 2 workdesk can lights
5) ceiling fan
6) living room can lights

The wiring was done by a (now fired, for other reasons) electrician as part of the rough electrical for our kitchen renovation. My three pictures show the wiring coming out of the whips at each switch location (the whips exist because the switches have to be mounted to cabinets sides). The only time I get a "hot" reading with my tester is when a single Breaker X is on, and the wires that read hot are noted below.

How do I go about sorting what wires go to what circuits? I'd like to install a switch for and use the kitchen can lights before my (second) electrician comes to do the final.

First picture, Location 1:
black (hot), white
black, white
red (hot), white (hot)
red, black
green ground

Second picture, Location 2:
black, black, white
black, black, white
black, red (hot), white (hot)
green ground

Third picture, Location 2:
black (hot), red
black, red
white
green ground

Attachments

• IMG-4839.JPG
    IMG-4839.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG-4838.JPG
    IMG-4838.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG-4836.JPG
    IMG-4836.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 239
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks