Softener. Losing focus - Could use some system help

Users who are viewing this thread

TomBodet

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been looking at putting in a softener for a while now and could use some direction.

Background: 15yr old house on county water. We get white residue on everything; glasses, the sink, water dispenser on fridge and mild crusty build up on faucet heads. Using a Hach 5-B test kit I'm at around 17 grains. Soap suds don't last.

The install location has plenty of space. I'm considering a whole house filter to put in front of the softener. One issue is even though it's just the wife and I, it's a large house that could easily handle a family of 5. Not sure I should spec that large or just the 2 of us.

I'm currently in the market for a new water heater. The current unit is original and I prefer to replace prior to failure. While I'm handy enough, it's a gas unit which I am not screwing around with so I'll be needing someone to do that install. While they're there I figure have them do at least the rough work to run lines to where it will all sit and the drain...up to doing the whole thing. My issue is not knowing someone I can trust and paying a premium for buying through a local.

The drain is a big problem because there isn't one available. The floor drain goes over to the sump so I'll need something installed.

Questions:
Size? I can't say how long we'll be here at this house. Maybe 5, maybe 20 years so I don't know if sizing for sale is even remotely smart.

Purchase from where? I haven't engaged any locals for costs yet. I've been looking at some places online w/Fleck systems. Just over 1k for an upflow carbon filter and 48k softener kit. I'm not sure how much of a premium it's worth going through a local for them supporting the equipment vs. just installing.

I guess I could use a general suggestion on how to go about this. We've only been in the area 2 years and finding pros has been really hard as it's a semi-rural area in-between two cities. Folks that come out all this way aren't easy to find and knowing you can trust them is even harder.

Thanks for your time.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score

TomBodet

Reaction score
Thanks DH. I've been through your doc from finding in other posts; only problem is there's a mountain of info interspersed in there and I find the design quite hard to read (sorry) so I don't really dig, I skim, which gets me nothing.

So downflow for filter.

I'm still unsure on sizing and figuring out who to get it from and not get taken for a ride. Who's to say the local guy isn't using the exact same crap tanks just to get a better margin too?

I search for various combinations of Fleck and I'm still unsure I've actually seen the manufacturer page. I'm not sure it matters but I was looking for a list of local provider/installers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks