Softener drain outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

mf915

Reaction score
Thinking of getting Fleck 5600SXT. Location will be in the semi-basement. There are no drain pipes close by. So i think i will have to drill a hole in the concrete block and run a PVC outside. The drain location will be a few feet up (ceiling of semi-basement) and maybe 10 ft across where the concrete blocks are.
1) what size of the PVC should i use for the drain ? would 3/4" be okay ?
2) would i need a p-trap before the PVC exits the concrete block ?
3) during winter, basement can be below freezing point. Since the drain hose will need to go a few feet up and across before exiting, how do i prevent it from freezing ?

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Going up with the drain is fine. As to how to prevent freezing, water must be removed from the plumbing in order to prevent freezing. Keep the basement warmer? keep the pipe warmer? https://hdsupplysolutions.com/p/fro...69&gclid=CMvRxvyXyOACFe2uZQodVjwMHA&gclsrc=ds

402570_K_Lg.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
There could be another way. Run the drain line higher in the warm area, and put in a vacuum breaker, and run a bigger pipe through the cold. How big? I am not sure. 1 inch sounds about right. Then make sure the bigger pipe through the cold maintains a sufficient slope to drain itself quickly enough. No bellies in the pipe. How much slope? Again I am not sure. Steeper is better, but 1/4 inch per foot may be sufficient.

I am not a pro, and I have not done this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks