Smelly Dishwasher- two different pros had two different answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade G

Reaction score
I've got a Kenmore dishwasher that smells like rotten food after washes and leaves dirty water in the bottom portion (not lot, but some). I've searched the forums and investigated my own hookup, and looks like it was done incorrectly (See attached picture). The dishwasher drains right into a metal tee waste pipe after the P trap and barely loops up. I assume this is causing either some siphoning, and then allowing gas back into the house (since I'm behind the P trap) or something is causing the washer to not properly drain at all initially and leaving some dirty water behind.

One professional said simply rerouting the dishwasher drain line much higher and then towards the disposal, then capping that tee would solve my problems. A second quote told me due to that metal pipe, I don't have much hope in solving my problem even if I rerouted.

Does the pipe being old and metal really have that much to do with it? Or can I just do as the first professional mentioned? If so, what can I cap it with? I don't know the size, material, or anything else. Perhaps just a pipe cap with the right diameter if its threaded? Thanks!

Side note: I know I need to get rid of that flex tube. I'm trying to mentally reroute the pipes now to work. Let me know if you have any ideas for that, I'm not a pro!

Attachments

• IMG_20190801_131037.jpg
    IMG_20190801_131037.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 481

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That wash with a cup of bleach has a high chance of success. Also, look up info on your machine on cleaning the hidden stuff inside. See if you have a filter such as this:

The dishwasher drains right into a metal tee waste pipe after the P trap and barely loops up. I assume this is causing either some siphoning, and then allowing gas back into the house (since I'm behind the P trap) or something is causing the washer to not properly drain at all initially and leaving some dirty water behind.
index.php

What is the relative height of the output of the disposal and the trap adapter (where the drain pipe goes into the wall)? You could use a long level, or you could fill some clear tubing mostly with water, and use that as a level.

That drain is not the cause of your smelly dishwasher, probably, but still you can improve that.

Last edited:

Wade G

Reaction score
I've looked up the manual and cleaned all the filters bits, plus the whole interior anyways while I was in there..helped some. I'll check for a check valve, I'll have to look into that. Just a cup full if bleach in the rack?

The waste pipe and disposal pipe are basically the same height (I'll check when I get home). Could that be a problem if the disposal is lower and I'm losing the fight to gravity? I don't notice anything funky with the sink draining.

Reach4

Reaction score
The waste pipe and disposal pipe are basically the same height (I'll check when I get home). Could that be a problem if the disposal is lower and I'm losing the fight to gravity? I don't notice anything funky with the sink draining.
I don't think that would cause the smelly DW.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks