Small bathroom remodel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
:) Thanks for sharing your experience Vegas . :)

I am glad you didn't back off from detailed work and the design reflects appreciation for a well done and thought layout . I can also say that your bathroom can easily fill a page or 2 in a bathroom design magazine . Sure thing , everyone should be more than happy with the outcome . :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Vegas.

Trust me.

The shower head needs a longer shower arm. it may flex so you might need to shim it. It will look better than the shorter one you have there.

Looking forward to the lighting pictures.

Take some red ones for me. They always look better with darker tile!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
It makes such simple sense to me to share real world pricing with the readers online.

But I realize you can choose to not participate........

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
:) Thanks for sharing your experience Vegas . :)

I am glad you didn't back off from detailed work and the design reflects appreciation for a well done and thought layout . I can also say that your bathroom can easily fill a page or 2 in a bathroom design magazine . Sure thing , everyone should be more than happy with the outcome . :)

Happy New Year, fellas!

I doubt many would appreciate this like you guys do. Thank you for the huge compliment. White Trash Living magazine is on their way. LOL

Sincerely, thanks man. :)

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Vegas.

Trust me.

The shower head needs a longer shower arm. it may flex so you might need to shim it. It will look better than the shorter one you have there.

Looking forward to the lighting pictures.

Take some red ones for me. They always look better with darker tile!

Got the square flange. You know I trust you. May go 9" arm, just so it doesn't drip all over the other trim after use. IDK yet.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Last night I plugged away, literally. Went tuxedo style, just like daughters bedroom.

IMG_20150101_102555429.jpg

Kinda ridiculous, I know. LOL

Control bank.jpg

Working on LEDs now. Always test before install. They are WiFi controlled, and talking. ;)

IMG_20150101_101649381.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
The teaser shot.

IT'S ALIVE!

IMG_20150101_113715517_HDR.jpg

The GUI of the app is clean too. This hub is a 4 zone scene controller. It'll have this bath, the master, and kitchen LEDs controlled through it.

WiFi LED app GUI.jpg

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I like the green version , Vegas . :)

The original version is hard to beat even with the bling bling LEDs . The red and the blue is killing the nice looking design , IMO . Maybe it is only the photo .......

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
The lights are fun. The intensity is definitely changed by the amount of ambient light in the room. Normally they're just accent.

IMG_20150102_072042657.jpg

IMG_20150101_185841908.jpg

Back to business. Vanity cab is in place. Are screws to the wall mandatory, or will silicone to the tile hold? I may be able to catch a horizontal grout line behind the rail, and drill through it. Concern is countertop to wall gap pulling.

IMG_20150101_161117881.jpg

I gotta order some square cabinet knobs..... :confused:

Reach4

Reaction score
From a functional point of view, red light is better before bed to help prep for sleep. Blue (or white with a lot of blue) is better in the morning to help wake you up.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
From a functional point of view, red light is better before bed to help prep for sleep. Blue (or white with a lot of blue) is better in the morning to help wake you up.

Red is Best.

Killer shots Vegas. Nice.

That is a lucky daughter - she will be envied by her friends and their dad's will think your a douche bag. I get it all the time....

My girls love the lights. So do I. My wife.

I keep telling people how the lights change your mood. My wife suffers from psoriasis on her hands, knees and elbows. With the red light on she can not see the skin condition at all. It's a little thing but even for the length of a shower it's nice for her to get a break. On a side note she looks even hotter with the red light on! wink wink....

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Killer shots Vegas. Nice.

That is a lucky daughter - she will be envied by her friends and their dad's will think your a douche bag. I get it all the time....

Thanks, John. :) We love it, and all the dads(and local contractors) have already given me DB status. That's some funny shit. LMAO

I keep telling people how the lights change your mood. My wife suffers from psoriasis on her hands, knees and elbows. With the red light on she can not see the skin condition at all. It's a little thing but even for the length of a shower it's nice for her to get a break.

^^^^That is flat out cool. :cool:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
LOL....

everytime we have friends over that have not seen the lights the kids freak out. Daddy can you make that for our home? lol

Then I tell them it's easy . You need a week and a few hundred dollars in materials.

Then they give you that look. You know. You %^(^8ing Douche Bag - thanks a lot..... lol

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I see you didn't show the green version in the update pics :(

2 questions Vegas ....

How the cleaning is performed around the LEDs -- niches -- ?

How and where the EC allows them to be installed in the configuration -- niches close to the tub area -- you have ?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I see you didn't show the green version in the update pics :(

I thought you were commenting on the green tint of the "white" picture from before.

Here's some real green for you, bro.
IMG_20150102_174437267.jpg

IMG_20150102_174704690.jpg

2 questions Vegas ....

How the cleaning is performed around the LEDs -- niches -- ?

How and where the EC allows them to be installed in the configuration -- niches close to the tub area -- you have ?

The niches just get wiped down if they need cleaning. For both of the showers in my house the LEDs are installed in niches, up in the niches. You'd have to really try to wipe the strips themselves.

As far as code, an inspector could turn this stuff down if he really wanted to. Not because it's particularly hazardous, but because every single component doesn't have a UL listing. These are the same components I use in commercial wet location installations in Vegas. A solid install doesn't raise any questions, as there should be nothing but low voltage(12V DC) in the wet area, and class II wiring restrictions are a bit looser than class I. When the class I side is GFI protected(which is about worthless), that's as far as most usually care about.

When I piece these together, I pay attention to IP ratings. This is a basic IP(Ingress Protection) standards chart.

IP chart.jpg

The second digit is most important. An IP 65 is a minimum for the way I did these, even though that exceeds actual conditions. Standard WP strips are usually rated 65(top). Next is a 68 rated strip. Double chip density(BRIGHT), and immersion rated for fountains/aquariums/etc(middle). On the bottom is a nice low capacity WP xfmr I found. That itself is rated as a 67. No need for it in a dry area, but why not.

IMG_20150103_073413035_HDR.jpg

Making connections in the wet area is only done with solder, and heat shrink. I'll re-seal the conductor end, and seal any ends that have been cut. Everything else is in a dry area. In this case, an access in a utility room, on the back of the wet wall, where I have shut off valves and a recept controlled by the wall switch.

IMG_20150103_081253238.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks