Small bathroom remodel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Thanks Vegas . :)

I would agree with you , maybe in a more controlled environment -- fountains , aquariums -- , with a protective glass layer .......... but in a tub filled with water and with access to both LEDs strips , from my understanding , almost all voltages are dangerous . Combined with the possibilities of detaching the LEDs strips -- both 12V -- , submerging them while playing with them -- very attractive to kids -- , the danger could become a real issue .

If the strips are protected by an encased glass feature -- a recessed location in the top of the niche -- , I would say the danger is controlled .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
All my Led installs are protected from little fingers. I like the separation myself. That is why I use white laminate glass as my diffuser.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thanks Vegas . :)

I would agree with you , maybe in a more controlled environment -- fountains , aquariums -- , with a protective glass layer .......... but in a tub filled with water and with access to both LEDs strips , from my understanding , almost all voltages are dangerous . Combined with the possibilities of detaching the LEDs strips -- both 12V -- , submerging them while playing with them -- very attractive to kids -- , the danger could become a real issue .

If the strips are protected by an encased glass feature -- a recessed location in the top of the niche -- , I would say the danger is controlled .

I make these to be submerged, if someone were able to get them out.

There's a reason code has different rules for <15V.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
All my Led installs are protected from little fingers. I like the separation myself. That is why I use white laminate glass as my diffuser.

That's fine if it makes you feel better. Might as well stake upside down garbage cans over all your landscape lights too. LOL

Seriously, it all depends on what you're using, and how.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What's the skinny on <15Volts?

I had an electrician tell me once about four years ago he has seen transformers fry and send line power down the low voltage wires. This worse case scenario or a client mucking up a low voltage wire is what led me to design my systems with the separation.

I sleep a little easier at night knowing this. But the fact that you built your daughter's tub feature this way has me second guessing myself a little.

Looking forward to my new LED Niche Box. Self contained battery powered unit. Going to be slick!

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It depends of few human body conditions and environment , in this case the body is part submerged .

You can read about it at

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html#wet_conditions

http://fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/Information/Hazardous_Voltage_Primer/

It is one of those things -- electricity -- which silent , invisible , odorless , etc. are some of its characteristics .

I would not second guess myself and protect the Led strip from direct contact. :)

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Body conditions, environment, and applied VOLTAGE. Those links are barely relevant, Roberto. Do the calculations, understand what the components are, and you'll understand how low the risk is. I could Redgard over Kerdi, but what's the point. We can run this down to the electrical forum, and discuss it there.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....We can run this down to the electrical forum, and discuss it there.

I learned the other day how to do Dragon's Breath.

A large fire ball! Awesome. Same guy should online how to freeze a 3volt battery taped to a mini Red LED and stuffed it in a ballon. Then he filled it with water. Frozen it. And the light was still glowing.​

So cool. No shocks reported.

Something like this but he place the light with the battery right in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
A common metaphor, voltage is to pressure and current is to flow. A proper 12V circuit doesn't have much ass behind it, just like a showerhead at 12psi won't rip through you like one at 120psi. It has a hard time passing through any electrically resistive substance(including skin). A wet body will be measured at about 1K ohms of resistance. You can calculate the typical current expected to flow through it(if all other safeties fail) by 12V/1000 ohms= .012A or 12 ma. That's worst case scenario for the secondary side. Add sealed fixtures(strips), solid/sealed connections, xfmrs with built in power limiting circuitry/protections, and GFCI protection for the line power, and you're pretty well protected. I won't second guess shit. Mon-Fri I work on big shit that WILL kill people if its not right. No second chances, but I will double/triple check certain things before they're energized. I don't think any less of these installs.

I'll get another xfmr/LED setup made, and throw it in a bucket of saltwater. Then I'll ground it, and take away safeties until it fails. Anything can happen. Its the way of the world.

I'm more worried about a failed motor/GFCI for the tub. I don't put the GFCI under the tub. I put it low on the wall where it can be regularly tested.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I learned the other day how to do Dragon's Breath.

Dragon%2BBreath.PNG

A large fire ball!
Holy shit, that's a picture of you doing that! You're out of your mind! LOL​

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I had an electrician tell me once about four years ago he has seen transformers fry and send line power down the low voltage wires. This worse case scenario or a client mucking up a low voltage wire is what led me to design my systems with the separation.

I sleep a little easier at night knowing this. But the fact that you built your daughter's tub feature this way has me second guessing myself a little.

If line voltage was sent down the secondary, it was a crap xfmr, and had no other safties. The secondary windings, or wires were probably shorted, and melted into the primary. It could have been bad from the factory. I watch 1 burn up every week, because they're cheap crap, and these would have no place in these environments. That's why I light them up before final install. When I'm done I'll run them for a day. Then I'll be the first to grab them when they're wet.

First shower was yesterday. It was great! The BSJs rip. The girls covered up all my work with girl crap, and the cats ass is on my grout! LOL

IMG_20150104_085257814.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I would not point out the benefits of Redgard over Kerdi or ..........

You would know, I wouldn't. I'm an electrician, not a tile pro. ;)

Why not mix up RG with Ditraset for crack isolation, uncoupling, waterproofing, liquid sheet membrane adhesive? LMAO

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

Holy shit, that's a picture of you doing that! You're out of your mind! LOL​

Yes. The first time I tried I used Baking Soda.

Nope.

Then I tried Baking Powder.

Nope.

Then I re googled the video and found out it's Corn Starch.

Then I tried a TeaSpoon.

Nothing.

Then another teaspoon with softer breath.

Baby flame.

Then all in with a Huge Ass Tablespoon. Slow breath and POW.

D R A G O N ' S B R E A T H

Scared the crap out of me. You should see the video!

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
After tiling in three bathrooms for the past year, and now having to wait to start my next DIY project, I realize I actually like doing the work. I definately couldn't do it for a living. LOL

It's been a challenge, and you guys have helped me a whole lot. I love the way these projects turned out, and really appreciate the the time you guys spend putting the information out. It may seem like nothing to you pros, but I ended up building things I didn't think I'd ever have. Pretty cool when something in your mind becomes a reality. From our minds to our hands. What a trip!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks