SLOOOOOOW Bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

leettema

Reaction score
The bathtub in our second floor drains slower that molasses. The only thing I've really tried to access it with is this plasic strip with barb hooks on it that I have used successfully in the past to clear two teenage girls hair from the drain. I can snake this thing down quite a way and am not getting anything. I've also tried plunging it some with no luck. I'm pretty sure it's just a hair clog somewhere but I don't have a clue as to how to clear it. It seems like the only thing I can remove is the little cover on the top of the drain. This is what I remove to snake the strip down.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Forget the plastic strip. Get yourself a rotating hand auger. Push it into the drain until you feel resistance, rotate the auger until it moves through the bend, repeat until you've cleared it to the main line. Keep the auger close to the drain all the while and have a little water running as you do all this. Pull it out slowly, rotating it and moving it into and out of the drain. The auger costs about 25 bucks but you can use it again and again. It will pay for itself the first time it opens a drain.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
At least you didn't put any chemicals down the drain :)
Plastic strips and hand crank snakes rarely/only work if the restriction is very close to the drain strainer.

The best long term remedy is to have the bathtub drain line snaked and cleaned with a power machine, then use a hair snare over the tub drain outlet to help prevent future clogs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks