Slab Leak or Underground Service Line Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

diginside

Reaction score
I am neither a plumber nor a DIY to claim in this regard. But I am close to be stressed out for sure. I found out yesterday my rental home had a slab leak. Inside the home, the water is coming out through the laminated floor on the concrete slab. Because the leak area was in the center of the house, I checked every possible direction and found no other sources above ground that would cause the leak. When there is no water usage, the meter outside can be seen moving very slowly (almost unnoticeably) in general though with sporadic movement after a 3-5 minutes or so. After shutting off the water service line overnight, I was told the area became dry or at least not too wet.

I am seeking advices on what is the fastest yet somewhat economic way of fixing the leak. I've already heard from one plumber the cost would be $3k - $5k for rerouting the service line, which made me want to cry. Another plumber suggested to pay for a detection service ($350) before he could quote on digging open the concrete. But I don't want to see the digging inside the house, likely so the tenant. The third opinion is to fix without any digging, I don't know what it is exactly, the cost of which seems to be the lowest and fastest. But this plumber is solidly booked for the next 3 weeks. Should I go find another plumber that can do the third option? or are there any professional opinions to explore?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
We run into this all the time and its not fun at all....
The problem is once one liek starts that is a good chance you willhave other breaks in the future
due to the copper pipes beginning to rot and corrode against the concrete in the floor...

So you shut off your water from inside your home and the leak stopped...is that corrrect??

if it is a small house and you can re-route all the water lines overhead that is the best option to do.. in pex..
just his the plumbing behind crown moulding along the corners of the ceiling..... its not fun but it is the best way to go...

the other approach is to get a leak detection place out there and find the exact spot its leaking then you dig down
through the floor at that exact spot and repair the pipe..... normal cost about 1800 + 350 fro leak detection..
plus the repairs to your home that will have to be done to carpet , ect//

I suggest the re-pipe of the whole place from the in-coming water service to the whole system from overhead..
if you are keeping this rental then you are gonna have to either make the repairs of kick out the
tennants and sell the place as-is..

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replumbed my house (with cpvc) and all the pipes are in the attic, but our climate allows for that. It is definitely a labor intensive job and I hope you don't have a two story as I did. We had to get creative.

JerryR

Reaction score
Last time I had a slab leak here in Florida, State Farm insurance paid for Leak detector service and all repairs.

diginside

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I got a plumber out at the property and determined that the leak was not in the main service line. It is rather the copper line between the kitchen and bathroom, under the concrete slab of course. And because this is a two-story house, the plumber does not recommend re-piping. So it seems I have only one option, detection service to pinpoint, then cut open the concrete and repair the pipe.

JerryR

Reaction score
CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. They should cover the repair and any other needs like tile replacement, Cabinet replacement etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The insurance company, as long as it is not Allstate, should cover all access and replacement costs, minus your deduction. Actually "fixing the pipe" would not be covered. HOW did the plumber determine where the leak was?

thiggy

Reaction score
The insurance company, as long as it is not Allstate, should cover all access and replacement costs, minus your deduction. Actually "fixing the pipe" would not be covered. HOW did the plumber determine where the leak was?
Concerning the above remark, does Allstate exclude this type of damage, whereas most insurance companies do cover it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks