Shower walls not level.

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeP

Reaction score
I have just installed the base of a 2 piece shower. Very level, I thought. Mortared, nailed. When I installed the wall, it was off by over 1 inch front to back. If I shim the front of wall, I can level it but have a huge gap in front. And the hole for faucet won't line up. Help, I need to raise front of pan. How do I put mortar in. There's about 1 inch gap to level

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 1" gap back to front? You may need to do a restart on that. It all starts with the pan being level. As far as the valve not fitting, some brands offer remodel plates that cover more. Cheaper than buying new walls. Or you could also move the valve in the wall before the panels go back up.

MikeP

Reaction score
A 1" gap back to front? You may need to do a restart on that. It all starts with the pan being level. As far as the valve not fitting, some brands offer remodel plates that cover more. Cheaper than buying new walls. Or you could also move the valve in the wall before the panels go back up.
Thanks. I took the fibreglass wall out. The pan is within 1/8" level to level. On one edge the pan has a wow and the fibreglass wall seems to be out of square or high on back. I will call the manufacturer.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Did you check that the wall your attaching to is vertical and any corners are square?

MikeP

Reaction score
The walls are very level. And square. The wall unit leans forward when it is set on the pan. Almost 1" difference From bottom to top. The bottom of the wall sits on the pan ledge, it does not touch th studs. The top of the wall is to be nailed to the studs. Nothing else touches the studs. The shower wall leans away by almost 1" from those studs, at the back, which are level. The sides are fine.

Last edited:

MikeP

Reaction score
A pan within 1/8" of level is as level as you will ever need.
A pan within 1/8" of level is as level as you will ever need.
I set the wall on a level floor. It seems to be a manufacturing flaw. The front edge is out of square with the bottom edge. I'll be on the phone Monday. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you apprised of the results

MikeP

Reaction score
Or I could have installed the pan wrong. The manufacturer may want the pan slopping to the back? The manufacturer hasn't got back to me yet.

MikeP

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Apparently, the pan section has to slope to the back wall. I removed the pan and mortar. Luckily, the mortar hadn't adhered much to the pan, also putting down roofing paper made mortar removal a snap. Thanks again.

MikeP

Reaction score
Was that in the directions? It sounds fishy to me.
Not in the directions. There were no directions withe the unit. There were online instructions which didn't help. their directions for no threshold showers made sense for my unit which has a threshold. Anyways all is good now. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks