Shower Valve Temperature Adjustment Help

Users who are viewing this thread

thrace22

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a novice to plumbing so please bear with me. Recently moved into a new home and of course shower is not nearly hot enough because of the default anti-scald setting. I took apart the handle to adjust, but was greeted by a mechanism unlike one I’ve seen before.

The most info I have on model/make is that it is a “Freendo”. It seems that the usual plastic stopper is buried underneath the metal casing, so it is impossible to take out and/or turn. It will not pull out or twist out. The center brass piece is also seemingly non-removable. The best I could do was remove the outer nickel plate and the outer nickel casing. I have scoured the Internet for any sort of manual or how-to video on how to work with this particular model, but no luck.

Hopefully I am missing something obvious. If anyone knows how to get this thing adjusted or can offer any advice, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

0B86A286-C5DE-49C0-8298-1C88DD55BCCC.jpeg
A6816AB8-BA9B-43C2-A38F-8B1D9D1C3945.jpeg
006A3D33-07E7-4B02-9777-0ADA7F3F7279.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think this is how that one works...the red plastic piece is pushed in to notches, and when you turn the handle to adjust the temperature, the nub on the red piece hits that stop. Turn the handle with the red piece out of there so the output is NGT 120-degrees F, then insert it so that the nub is up against the stop. In reality, a lower temp is probably called for but code in the USA says it COULD be as hot as 120. Normally, most people find something around 105F as a max is fine.

Also note, that you may need to change this between winter/summer, as all that adjustment is doing is limiting how much hot is in the mix...in the winter, when the cold is much (potentially) colder, you'd need more hot to reach that max temperature that's safe...generally, I tend to adjust my own so it is hotter than I prefer in the summer, and it's still good in the winter, but it depends on how much seasonal swing there is in your incoming water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I turn mine all the way hot. Winter or Summer . If its a customer I'll ask don't want to scald anyone. or have them unhappy its not hot enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks