Shower pan drain connection to vented stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! And as far as the direction goes, I want to ensure that the sweep goes towards the drain, and not towards the trap, correct? The way I look at it, the sweep should be angled such that any water that might get in the vent pipe has a smooth path back to the drain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! And as far as the direction goes, I want to ensure that the sweep goes towards the drain, and not towards the trap, correct? The way I look at it, the sweep should be angled such that any water that might get in the vent pipe has a smooth path back to the drain.
yea basicaly as if water csame down that vent it would sweep in proper direction (down hill) you got this ! if any othe issue comes ask

Reaction score
1000043835.jpg

After looking at the geometry in the space I am working, I am considering doing this with the trap. I think this is ok, but I have a few comments/questions:
1) I can put up to 135 degrees of direction change in the pipe from the shower drain to the trap, I think.
2) I want to avoid drilling 2"+ holes in my joists, so I want to run all pipes below the joists. This means that I will drop just over 1" per foot after the vent connection. Can I put a 45 degree section to lose height, or just go aggressive on my slope after the vent connection?

Thanks again, Ivan

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The total drop from the trap outlet to the vent takeoff is limited to 2" (one trap diameter). If your vent takeoff is at a fixed elevation, lower the trap until you comply, while maintaining a minimum of 1/4" per foot drop. After the vent takeoff, no maximum rate or manner of drop.

The wye in your picture does not match your description in post #22, it's backwards.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks fine, assuming the trap to vent takeoff drop meets the limits I listed, as it appears to.

Note that with everything dry fit, you will need to cut your pipe pieces a little longer where your fitting locations are critical and shouldn't move. A 2" pipe socket is 3/4", but a dry fit will only go in 1/2" to 5/8"--it's an interference fit, but the when you use the solvent cement, it softens the plastic so you can insert it all the way, which you should do.

The way I deal with this is to measure the visible gap between the hubs, add 2 * 3/4", and then maybe subtract 1/16". Actually, that's what I do for the first one, then I measure the result after gluing up, and adjust my future lengths accordingly.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
Looks fine, assuming the trap to vent takeoff drop meets the limits I listed, as it appears to.

Note that with everything dry fit, you will need to cut your pipe pieces a little longer where your fitting locations are critical and shouldn't move. A 2" pipe socket is 3/4", but a dry fit will only go in 1/2" to 5/8"--it's an interference fit, but the when you use the solvent cement, it softens the plastic so you can insert it all the way, which you should do.

The way I deal with this is to measure the visible gap between the hubs, add 2 * 3/4", and then maybe subtract 1/16". Actually, that's what I do for the first one, then I measure the result after gluing up, and adjust my future lengths accordingly.

Cheers, Wayne
Excellent, thanks for the advice. Getting a little late in the night tonight, but I shall glue it all up tomorrow! :)