Shower leak

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by steve49, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. steve49

    steve49 New Member

    Apr 1, 2005
    I have a shower that was leaking behind the walls. When I took the pipe that comes out of the wall off is was broke at the 90 inside the wall. I tried a easy out took and it appears to have cracked the 90. The wall is tile and there is no access. Do I have to take out the tile cut through the wall and replace the 90 ot is there a way to salvage/repair the 90 with a special tool.

  2. SeattleSoxFan

    SeattleSoxFan In the Trades

    Apr 1, 2005
    Another way to it?

    Well, I'm a carpenter and truly not a gifted plumber, but I do have a few thoughts... If it's copper pipe, you're going to need a bit of room to access it, and the ~1" hole behind the shower arm comes through is probably not enough room (unless you have crazy torch skills!).

    Typically the easier wall to repair is the one behind the shower though, so maybe you can access it through the hallway, bedroom, whatever... it's a lot easier to patch the drywall than the tile!

    Just my humble opinion...
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. RioHyde

    RioHyde Plumber

    Sep 24, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Accessing it on the backside of the tiled wall is preferrable if that is at all possible. Drywall repair is alot simpler than tile repair. There isnt any special tool or technique that will fix the broken will need to be replaced.
  5. John Bridge

    John Bridge Mudmeister

    Sep 4, 2004
    Owner, John Bridge Services
    Houston, Texas
    Hi Steve, :)

    I concur. Watch out for these plumbers. They'll go in from the front and leave the patching to some poor old tile guy. A tile guy will go in from the back and leave the patching to some poor old carpenter. :D

    John (a tile guy)
  6. Mike Swearingen

    Mike Swearingen New Member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    Another (better) alternative:
    There are new shower faucet assemblies with large estuchions (chrome or brass finish cover plates) to cover a large hole from the shower side without going through the back of it. They are made to convert former two-handle shower faucets with a single-handle new faucet and for situations like this, and will work great in this instance.
    Check into those at plumbing supply houses.
    Much better than tearing through and repairing tile (which you probably won't be able to match anyway, right John?)
    Good Luck!
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
Similar Threads: Shower leak
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Shower leak- baffled by cartridge removal Sep 9, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Tub/Shower Leak Aug 11, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Shower pan leak Jul 13, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog New Glass Shower Enclosure Leaks Jul 12, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Streamway shower valve leaks Jun 17, 2017

Share This Page