Shower Drain - what were they thinking?

Users who are viewing this thread

USMCFIRE317

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a shower in the basement on a concrete slab. The previous owner placed tile directly on the slab to the drain. Actually, the drain sits about a 1/4" above the tile.

I would like to rip up the tile and walls then install a solid shower basin. Looking at the drain it appears to be 2" pvc with a black plastic ring around the top on the inside. Can I place the shower basin directly on the drainpipe with the proper drain adaptor?

Attachments

• Shower1.jpg
    Shower1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 149
  • shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 150
  • shower3.jpg
    shower3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 145
  • shower4.jpg
    shower4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 146
  • shower5drain.jpg
    shower5drain.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 158

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You may have to chop some concrete to get to the pipe. Most shower drains and current code is a 2" pipe. Yours maybe two 2"'s but the adapter used is 1.5" which is OK. This shower was probably built in the 1970-80's by the materials used and it was common to install it as you have it. Are there other fixtures such as a toilet? If you think the plumbing was installed when the home was built then there should be proper drainage and venting. One problem, quite often, a homeowner did the install and used an existing floor drain. These sometimes drain into a sump pump that get discharged outdoors, not the septic system. Something to look at.

As for tiling, this John Bridge site is the best when it comes to "how to's" for shower pan builds and tiling. Most preformed shower pans will not fit the location to the floor drain and building one will probably be necessary.

https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/shower-pan-liner-installation/

USMCFIRE317

Reaction score
You may have to chop some concrete to get to the pipe. Most shower drains and current code is a 2" pipe. Yours maybe two 2"'s but the adapter used is 1.5" which is OK. This shower was probably built in the 1970-80's by the materials used and it was common to install it as you have it. Are there other fixtures such as a toilet? If you think the plumbing was installed when the home was built then there should be proper drainage and venting. One problem, quite often, a homeowner did the install and used an existing floor drain. These sometimes drain into a sump pump that get discharged outdoors, not the septic system. Something to look at.

As for tiling, this John Bridge site is the best when it comes to "how to's" for shower pan builds and tiling. Most preformed shower pans will not fit the location to the floor drain and building one will probably be necessary.

https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/shower-pan-liner-installation/
The house was built in 1977, there is a sink and toilet in the room now. No sump pump. If you look down the drain there is standing water about 4 inches down, because of that I assume there is a p-trap.

figured I could make the width of the shower to 32" and the basin should fit perfectly with the measurements I have.

btw: nice Camaro

bathroom7.jpg
camaro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The basin looks, maybe a little wiggle where the side walls may need to be moved slightly. Most likely your drainage system is good.

The Camaro is my retirement toy. Sits in a storage unit most of the time. The wife wouldn't let me get a Harley. It is a beast, 455 HP and after I get it and she drove it once or twice she doesn't want to drive it. Then one day she sees a C7 Corvette and said this Camaro was a Corvette I'd drive it. Now she tells me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks