Shower drain leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Thilak Chander

Reaction score
In the past two years my shower has leaked twice. My initial plumber seems to have drilled a drainage hole slightly off centre but within the indentation which my second plumber believes is the reason for the problem. This plumber thinks i should replace the entire unit which I believe is an overkill. I have included a pic to clear any doubts. I would appreciate any input into this problem. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,010

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I have never seen a shower drain that had to be drilled out. They all come predrilled. It is off center but I would think that if the trap and drain are plumb and the shower base does not flex when you are taking a shower it shouldn't leak. That said if all is right and it does leak again you may have to change out the shower.

Thilak Chander

Reaction score
Thanks for responding to my post. Would it be all right to use mortar to secure the shower if the drain and trap is well connected?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are referring to underneath to give it support, yes, this is fine. The mortar doesn't really need to adhere it to the floor, but support it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks